Uk - Level 2 Question

Hi,

I took the Level 1 course last year and got a hell of a load out of it especially after only riding for a couple of months. I'm keen to do Level 2 this year and the preference would be prior to July when I'm riding to Spain. I see the only available one at the minute is Brands Hatch but this doesn't have the lean bike (I'm guessing why there are still spaces), how much would I be missing out on?

• 3 weeks later...
Hi,

I took the Level 1 course last year and got a hell of a load out of it especially after only riding for a couple of months. I'm keen to do Level 2 this year and the preference would be prior to July when I'm riding to Spain. I see the only available one at the minute is Brands Hatch but this doesn't have the lean bike (I'm guessing why there are still spaces), how much would I be missing out on?

Hi Thomas

Glad you enjoyed level 1 and are coming to see us in the UK for level 2. Am not sure if you have booked with us already, but there at the time of writing this post only 1 slot at both Brands Hatch, and 1 on the second date we have in June at Silverstone.

We aren't able to run the lean bike at Brands as there is not space in the paddock to do so, and we're often constrained by other events running at Silverstone which also don't allow us to run the lean bike.

Whilst having a go on the lean bike is a very valuable experience, certainly in getting your body position established correctly for level 3, your day will still be exceptional without going on the bike should we be unable to run it due to either space, or weather restrictions.

I hope this helps answer your question, though if you have further comments, please just ask.

Bullet

(UK riding coach)

Hi,

Hi Thomas

Glad you enjoyed level 1 and are coming to see us in the UK for level 2. Am not sure if you have booked with us already, but there at the time of writing this post only 1 slot at both Brands Hatch, and 1 on the second date we have in June at Silverstone.

We aren't able to run the lean bike at Brands as there is not space in the paddock to do so, and we're often constrained by other events running at Silverstone which also don't allow us to run the lean bike.

Whilst having a go on the lean bike is a very valuable experience, certainly in getting your body position established correctly for level 3, your day will still be exceptional without going on the bike should we be unable to run it due to either space, or weather restrictions.

I hope this helps answer your question, though if you have further comments, please just ask.

Bullet

(UK riding coach)

Hi,

Hi Thomas

Bullet

(UK riding coach)

Hi,

I completd level 1 in the UK in 2002 and have only just been able to book level 2. It's been a long wait and i too am keen to experience the lean bike for the next level. Everything that i've read about this and the other training aids is positive. After all, Keith wouldn't have gone to the trouble of designing them if they weren't of benefit.

Having just booked i received the information pack in the post. I was extremely disappointed to read 'Due to the circuits now wanting to charge us for the use of paddock space, we are no longer able to run the lean bke for level 2, the brake rig for level 3 and the slide bike for level 4'.

It appears that UK Students will not have the priviledge of using these training aids. Maybe it would have been a little easier to swallow if it had previously been mentioned on the website before i booked?

I'm booked for Rockingham on the 6th and 7th of July for levels 2 and 3, as far as I can see they will still be using the training bikes there! I knew they never used them at brands due to lack of space, never knew they didn't run them at Silverstone though! Hopefully I can get on the lean bike on my level 2 as its one of the machines I am really looking forward to getting a shot of, but the training bikes are weather dependant after all so if thats the main reason for someone to go to school then it may be better to do a 2 day camp in spain or portugal!

Hi bullet, good to see a UK coach up on this forum!

Hi,

Hi Thomas

Bullet

(UK riding coach)

Hi,

I completd level 1 in the UK in 2002 and have only just been able to book level 2. It's been a long wait and i too am keen to experience the lean bike for the next level. Everything that i've read about this and the other training aids is positive. After all, Keith wouldn't have gone to the trouble of designing them if they weren't of benefit.

Having just booked i received the information pack in the post. I was extremely disappointed to read 'Due to the circuits now wanting to charge us for the use of paddock space, we are no longer able to run the lean bke for level 2, the brake rig for level 3 and the slide bike for level 4'.

It appears that UK Students will not have the priviledge of using these training aids. Maybe it would have been a little easier to swallow if it had previously been mentioned on the website before i booked?

Hi there,

Clearly the drill do offer benefits, as you rightly pointed out Keith did indeed invet them to help with the body position situation in isolation in a paddock area without distractions of corners etc. It is possible to have similiar improvements with your riding coach, though this is typically addressed in Level 3, rather than 2.

I appreciate your situation, and I know this something thats been mentioned to the coaching staff by Andy at one of the schools of late that the circuits were charging excessive, (and I mean excessive), amounts of money for being able to run the lean bike/Slide bike and brake rig. Steering drill has still been possible, as it takes so little room in comparison.

I think the challenge that the school has had really is, should the cost of the having this open to each student be tagged onto the school cost, and when we say additonal cost, we're talking around 50 quid extra per student for the privilege. In the current economic climate, and with prices already edging up anyway, it was felt I understand that people wouldn't stomach this cost and so I believe this decision has been taken. I'd be interested in your view on this point by the way?

I'm not certain if this is the case for all locations, though Brands has always been possible, and I know that Silverstone has become constrained by costs. For confirmation of whether they'll run at Rockingham or not, ring into the office, speak with Lynn, and she'll be able to provide a definitive answer on this.

Sorry if you felt misled in some way, but I hope this explanation helps a little the reasoning behind this decision.

Bullet

(UK riding coach)

Hi bullet, good to see a UK coach up on this forum!

No problem, I'll be about quite a bit from now on, to help out with UK queries.

Be nice to hook up, say hi at Rockingham my friend.

Bullet

Hi,

Hi Thomas

Bullet

(UK riding coach)

Hi,

Hi there,

Clearly the drill do offer benefits, as you rightly pointed out Keith did indeed invet them to help with the body position situation in isolation in a paddock area without distractions of corners etc. It is possible to have similiar improvements with your riding coach, though this is typically addressed in Level 3, rather than 2.

I appreciate your situation, and I know this something thats been mentioned to the coaching staff by Andy at one of the schools of late that the circuits were charging excessive, (and I mean excessive), amounts of money for being able to run the lean bike/Slide bike and brake rig. Steering drill has still been possible, as it takes so little room in comparison.

I think the challenge that the school has had really is, should the cost of the having this open to each student be tagged onto the school cost, and when we say additonal cost, we're talking around 50 quid extra per student for the privilege. In the current economic climate, and with prices already edging up anyway, it was felt I understand that people wouldn't stomach this cost and so I believe this decision has been taken. I'd be interested in your view on this point by the way?

I'm not certain if this is the case for all locations, though Brands has always been possible, and I know that Silverstone has become constrained by costs. For confirmation of whether they'll run at Rockingham or not, ring into the office, speak with Lynn, and she'll be able to provide a definitive answer on this.

Sorry if you felt misled in some way, but I hope this explanation helps a little the reasoning behind this decision.

Bullet

(UK riding coach)

Hi Bullet, Thanks for your reply.

I've contacted the UK Office as suggested. I couldn't get a definitive answer as Lynn wasn't available. However, one of the riding Coaches was of the opinion that the Training bikes would be available at Rockingham on 7th July.

The information pack does state that they will no longer be used. (Off Track Dills section) The situation was explained to me and as you've said, the School needs to consider if it's feasible to pass the increased cost on to us Students. I was told that it could be as much as a third. (Obviously the final decision hasn't been made yet)

My view is that the School isn't cheap. £412- Brands Hatch. £392- Rockingham, a little cheaper for Silverstone. However, as Andy Ibbott said on the UK CSS TV series, 'If you want to improve your riding then you'll put your hand in your pocket'. I agree. It's taken me some time to find the funds for level 2 and maybe it's just too expensive for some. As regards an additional cost, i personally would be prepared to pay another £50 for the use of the Training bikes but and additional third would probably be beyond me.

Really sorry to hear about this. At the very least, static lean bike training can be done, as the Aussies have had to do with no actual space to run the bike at some of their tracks.

CF