Stuck In New Jersey: Making Progress?

I am just wondering if any of you have been at the same spot I am now. I have done 5 CSS classes (2 lvl 4's) and have been working on my home track (Thunderbolt NJ: hence the title of the post :rolleyes: ) A LOT and have pretty much gotten the track down. I seem to have things ok..picking up TPs (can do it in my sleep I think..I have done +10 track days at Tbolt), hit my points ok, braking seems ok, and even though I can't see it, I think my body position is ok…locking in etc (not dragging a knee but don't think I should be at this speed). Lap times are consistent within say 1-2 secs when not in traffic …but….they are 25+ seconds slower than the people in the advanced group. Trouble is I DON'T KNOW HOW TO GO FASTER. I could probably shave a bunch of seconds off times by pegging it on the straights and braking harder, but I don't think that is the best solution. I know ultimately it has to do with turn entry speed, I just don't know how to increase it (without going off the track).

Any ideas? Should I just not worry about it and work on technique and hopefully speed will come? Trouble is I don't think I can progress without pushing up the speed some. I am very comfortable at my current speed level so except for lapses of concentration (ADD kicks in) I do pretty well.

I did a video of my friend last weekend (the camera is on my bike). You can see how I do the turns etc (just can't see me)…If I look like ###### let me know..don't be kind (just kind of ignore the turns where i was watching my friend and missed my TPs :) )

Hi Steve,

I had a look at the video, and get you post. The normal first place to add speed is on the exit, driving out of the turn. If one is doing the pick-up drill, you won't get in trouble. Didn't look like your braking was way off, not a huge amount of time to be shaved there. Then entry speed increses, while keeping the rest of the key fundamentals in. This is a juggle. If the entry speed goes up, still having good throtlte control? Another key skill to entry speed is how quickly the bike is turned. Have a look at some of our video of the track, and compare how the bike is turned.

This can also be a juggle. Turn the bike quick but not get tight on the bars after turn in, that's a skill.

How long have you been doing schools and track days? How often do you do them in a season?

Best,

Cobie

Hi Steve,

I had a look at the video, and get you post. The normal first place to add speed is on the exit, driving out of the turn. If one is doing the pick-up drill, you won't get in trouble. Didn't look like your braking was way off, not a huge amount of time to be shaved there. Then entry speed increses, while keeping the rest of the key fundamentals in. This is a juggle. If the entry speed goes up, still having good throtlte control? Another key skill to entry speed is how quickly the bike is turned. Have a look at some of our video of the track, and compare how the bike is turned.

This can also be a juggle. Turn the bike quick but not get tight on the bars after turn in, that's a skill.

How long have you been doing schools and track days? How often do you do them in a season?

Best,

Cobie

Hey Cobie

Thanks SO MUCH for response and taking time to check the vid.

I think you suggestions are perfect. I like the idea of quicker speed out of the turn and thinking I really need to work on that. The pick-up drill was one that I never quite got i think so that will be a great place to start and I think that will help A LOT. That way I won't have to worry about entry speed increase for a bit till I get that worked out. I think just that alone will help with times...there are a lot of turns and combos where I can see it helping on Thunderbolt and just thinking about it is something I need to work on. It also might be natural to increase entry speed a little to ...I hear you about tight on the bars though..when I start going a little faster I can feel my hands and arms starting to get tired lol...

I would love to see a CSS vid on Tbolt but you all don't have one up on it yet :(

I have been doing the track thing for about 2 years now: my first CSS was Nov 08 at LV, did Streets this past March 09, and just did Thunderbolt CSS a couple of weeks ago. I did about 10 track days last year and have done almost that many so far this year and have like 8 more planed before CSS is back in Aug (yes I do so have the bug) Most of the days are at Thunderbolt and a few at Lightning

Thanks again for the come-back and I will let you know how it works.

Steve D

Steve,

Thanks for the reminder, I need to get a video done of t/bolt.

Let me know how that goes, and when you come out in August, for sure bring this stuff up. Maybe we could even get some footage of you riding (or bring that video with you?), we could go over it right then and there.

Overall to me, looks like you are doing well, and in the right direction.

Best,

Cobie

Steve,

Thanks for the reminder, I need to get a video done of t/bolt.

Let me know how that goes, and when you come out in August, for sure bring this stuff up. Maybe we could even get some footage of you riding (or bring that video with you?), we could go over it right then and there.

Overall to me, looks like you are doing well, and in the right direction.

Best,

Cobie

Thanks Cobie...and here comes a little brown nosing :rolleyes:

Pretty much everything I have learned is from CSS...otherwise I think I would have quite this long ago.

Everytime I do CSS i learn something more and get better. Now though I think it is getting tuffer. The learning curve is harder and somehow I have to start trying to put it all together insead of having 15 drills to work on separately...but it is fun trying

Hopefully I will get my 8 more track days before next CSS and then at CSS we can REALLY work on stuff

Steve D

Hey Steve,

I think it is very interesting to hear you say, "somehow I have to start trying to put it all together insead of having 15 drills to work on separately."

Even though I have only completed level 1, I found that the drills were additive in nature. What I mean by that is when I was working on the 2nd drill, I was still doing the first, while adding the 3rd, I was still doing the 1st and 2nd. I never viewed the drills as separate exercises, but rather building blocks to be combined into a more encompassing end result. Using this approach allowed me to make significant progress throughout the day and completely embed the technique into my riding style.

I am sure that I will need to review this as I move on to Levels 2 and 3 at Barber in a week or so but I feel like I am still in tune with what I have learned.

Best regards,

-scott

Hey Steve,

I think it is very interesting to hear you say, "somehow I have to start trying to put it all together insead of having 15 drills to work on separately."

Even though I have only completed level 1, I found that the drills were additive in nature. What I mean by that is when I was working on the 2nd drill, I was still doing the first, while adding the 3rd, I was still doing the 1st and 2nd. I never viewed the drills as separate exercises, but rather building blocks to be combined into a more encompassing end result. Using this approach allowed me to make significant progress throughout the day and completely embed the technique into my riding style.

I am sure that I will need to review this as I move on to Levels 2 and 3 at Barber in a week or so but I feel like I am still in tune with what I have learned.

Best regards,

-scott

Hey Scott...I hear you..and you are absolutely right...and I too am constantly working on each of the drills and there is NO QUESTION that they help to keep you on track (pun intended)..in fact it has allowed me to get where I am on the bike now...but I guess at some point it all has to flow into a "oneness" : bike me track...just hitting all those TPs perfectly and not really thinking about how to do it....Having been on this track 15+ times and doing a CSS on the track too...I think I am starting to get a hint of it at this slower speed..all those drills/skills flowing together...and I like it :rolleyes: (and no, i am not deluding myself into thinking I am anywhere close to being a competent rider)... But I feel its closer...now I just need to work on being able to do it better and faster.

Great vid and appreciate the video. Hope to see you gents at T-Bolt in August. Bring the gatorade!

hey Jody...

Thnks for reply just don't laugh at me too much :rolleyes:

Let me know what dates u are doing T-bolt in aug and I will say hi

Do you do Track Days there (Tbolt)???...there are a bunch of clubs that run days and most are pretty good.

I have like 8 lined up before CSS in Aug lol (well a few are at lightning too)

steve d