Tire Sizes

Hi,

new on board, but have been lurking for some time.

Have a question regarding tire sizes vs profile. I run Bridgestone bt003rs

I run a Honda NC30 as a track bike, it's tire sizes is 120/60-17 and 150/60-18. The rear I have changed to a more modern 17" wheel and it's the same width (4.5") as the 18" and the recommended tire size is 150/60-17. Ride height is retained at rear by a modified linkage.

But I have found that I have more tire left on the front than on the rear, I use up all the availible tire tread on the rear, but have aprox 8mm left on the sides of the front, when pushed hard the rear just slides, so I really are on the last tread.

My idea is to put on a 160/60 tire, I guess that it will be a bit rounder in the profile on the same size rim as a the 150/60 tire, giving a bit more tread for heavy lean....., what do you guys think??

Ronni

Hi,

new on board, but have been lurking for some time.

Have a question regarding tire sizes vs profile. I run Bridgestone bt003rs

I run a Honda NC30 as a track bike, it's tire sizes is 120/60-17 and 150/60-18. The rear I have changed to a more modern 17" wheel and it's the same width (4.5") as the 18" and the recommended tire size is 150/60-17. Ride height is retained at rear by a modified linkage.

But I have found that I have more tire left on the front than on the rear, I use up all the availible tire tread on the rear, but have aprox 8mm left on the sides of the front, when pushed hard the rear just slides, so I really are on the last tread.

My idea is to put on a 160/60 tire, I guess that it will be a bit rounder in the profile on the same size rim as a the 150/60 tire, giving a bit more tread for heavy lean....., what do you guys think??

Ronni

Ronni : I have went that route as many others on the tire sizes. It seems logical that more tread and more leaning is faster but when the hp's are on and climbing sometimes a larger footprint tire becomes a little heavier while spinning at high rpm on the wheels and the horsepower that was there before at any given rpm range may noticeably change, so even if you can lean further and feel more secure with larger footprint tires does not necessarily make your track times less.

Dale G. Basgall

• 1 month later...

well, rims dictate how big a tire you can use, my 4.5" rim will take both 150, 160 and 165 wide tires. But the profile will be affected, I spoke to a very expirenced track rider, riding the bike as me, he said something interesting which I hadn't though of. When you go wider the edge profile gets rounder, this is bad since new tires are designed to have a platau/flat part when fully leaned over. So you will actually decrease the contact patch.

But if you go fast enough, this will be negated be the carcass deforming a bit.

So a bit wiser, but a bit more uncertain...

Ronni

And modern tires have more rubber on the ground when leaned over than when upright.

CF

Like the new Dunlops. Are they the Q2's? They were sold out already when I was getting new tires.

We just got a shipment--did you know since you are signed up you can get 2 sets for every day you do with us, at the killer good guy price (really it is great, but can't really put it up).

I'll pm you with it.

CF

• 2 months later...

if you can find Dunlop GPR Alpha10 tires over there get them, they are Dunlop's middlesport race tyres for 250cc/400cc sport bikes, i know guys here that have shaved seconds off their lap times coming off from BT090 tyres.

here is what i recommend for tyre sizes; 120/70 front & 150/70 rear, they are very popular in Japan & Southeast Asia.