New Here

Hey all, just signed up. From Vancouver B.C was thinking of joining you down there for a cornering course next season, my riding experience is limited however i do ride on the street everyday. I want to improve my cornering ability and get out on the track next year.

I want to know if maybe I should take a course at a local school before signing up for CSS or is this a good place to start honing my cornering skills? I have the fundamentals down and like i said i do ride everyday but have never had any formal training.

Thanks

Hey Kat, welcome to the forum. You sound like a perfect candidate for the school to me. I just did levels 1 and 2. I had already read A Twist of the Wrist 2 so I *thought* I had the basic idea but I was blown away at the simplicity and effectiveness of the drills. If you don't have the "Twist" books I recommend them.

Other than that I'd just say that there's a lot of questionable advice given when it comes to riding motorcycles, so if I were you I'd just stick to CSS and learn good habits from the start.

Howdy Kat. I'm not sure how much a local school would help. I've looked into some around here, and they're geared toward beginner and superstreet riders. I'm sure you'll learn some, but if I have any money to put towards a school, I'd prefer one recognized and attended by some of the better riders in the world. If I didn't have the money to travel and pay so much for school, I would definitely take a local school.

G'day Kat,

Take quality any time. I've attended a couple of schools, but CSS represents the best - that's why we have this forum and why it is a worldwide venture with world champions in its ranks.

I can't think of any other riding school that is as widespread - I've yet to hear anyone complain about their experience.......but that could also be because the moderators are so good.... ;)

Big Brother is watching!!!! :P

regards

db

Kat, welcome. Save your pennies and get yourself to CSS. You will be surprised with what you don't know. Definitely, get Keith's books. Twist I, II to start. And get Soft Science later. The Twist books are about the mechanicals of the Art and Soft Science is about the Brain part of riding a motorcycle at speed. IMO. That's how the study has struck me.

I've now been to the school several times and every visit as been worth all my effort to get there.

Good luck with your plans. Keep your street riding just that. Save your other ideas for the track.

All the best.

Hi Kat,

Welcome to the forum. I hope you enjoy it here. I just joined and found the community and helpfulness of the members is really special. I would suggest you read both twist books and try to pick one thing to improve on at a time. I've done all the levels now and if there is one thing I noticed, I can't get great at everything all at once. The levels and drills within give you something that you can effectively measure, analyse and improve on. The format and sequence of drills is sensible and makes it easy to build on existing lessons. Having the skilled staff follow you around and even video you (in level 3) allows you to get feedback about your riding you may never have been aware of. Another school may be useful to get more experience on the track, but CSS is so polished that you'll know and experience the difference right away. If I were you, I'd do the local school and CSS just to compare. Have fun out there :)

Hi Kat,

You already have had some responses, not much to add to that. I'll share a personal experience with another hobby: I was getting advice from someone that was considered a "pro" in a his field, in other words he was paid to train others officially (by a government agency in fact). His advice was for sure off the later training I got, and think I would have had a bit of unlearning to do had I followed it.

Why have to bother re-learning, just start with the best. If you get the Twist books (for sure look over Twist 2 before you come), you will know how Keith approaches training.

100% biased opinion of course :)

Best,

Cobie