Weird Rowing Sensation

T'he other day I decided to ride my bike to go meet some family. Only problem is that I had a mysteriously flat rear tire. No biggie I thought, I'll swap out the Michelin Pilot Power for the Shinko* that I already have mounted on a spare wheel.

*(I don't know why I still have this thing. I got it 4 years ago and just hung onto it, but I did not like this tire's profile when I rode it, so I swapped it for a Dunlop then the Michelins.)

About 30 minutes later (I had to relearn how to change a rear tire) I had it all ready to go and I took off.

I did a few countersteers to get a feel for the tire and noticed that it felt like the bike steered really quickly. If you're familiar with this tire (005 IIRC) a lot of guys run them at drag strips because they are pretty flat until you get it leaned over then it's a quick roll to the side.

I noticed while goings straight that the bars felt like they were rowing a bit in my hands. I didn't notice this with my Michelin and it's the only change that I'm aware of.

I recall Dave Moss talking about a rowing feeling in a suspension video but don't recall exactly what makes that.

Any suggestions? I'd like to know the cause of this feeling, even though I do plan to remount the Michelin after discovering the cause of the flat.

T'he other day I decided to ride my bike to go meet some family. Only problem is that I had a mysteriously flat rear tire. No biggie I thought, I'll swap out the Michelin Pilot Power for the Shinko* that I already have mounted on a spare wheel.

*(I don't know why I still have this thing. I got it 4 years ago and just hung onto it, but I did not like this tire's profile when I rode it, so I swapped it for a Dunlop then the Michelins.)

About 30 minutes later (I had to relearn how to change a rear tire) I had it all ready to go and I took off.

I did a few countersteers to get a feel for the tire and noticed that it felt like the bike steered really quickly. If you're familiar with this tire (005 IIRC) a lot of guys run them at drag strips because they are pretty flat until you get it leaned over then it's a quick roll to the side.

I noticed while goings straight that the bars felt like they were rowing a bit in my hands. I didn't notice this with my Michelin and it's the only change that I'm aware of.

I recall Dave Moss talking about a rowing feeling in a suspension video but don't recall exactly what makes that.

Any suggestions? I'd like to know the cause of this feeling, even though I do plan to remount the Michelin after discovering the cause of the flat.

Hi Jay and nice to see your post. I really hope I can be helpful, but I'm no expert. One thing I thought I might mention is that it may be worth checking if the wheel is perfectly straight. Not sure if you have used that spare wheel before, but it might also be worthwhile swapping the tires and seeing if you still have the same problem with the 4 year old tire on your normal wheel. Just thinking of eliminating the variables. I hope this helps and good luck man.

I may consider having the wheel tested for runout

We see different/odd wear patterns at the school every day. The front could easily be worn, and not a compatible match to the rear too.

One thing we see on the wear is (even with enough tread) the tire has little waves and cups, and the best way to feel this is simply cup your hand, stand on one side of the tire and run your hand along the tire. Get some of your hand on both sides of the middle, run it back and forth and likley you'll find it isn't even.

Let us know what you feel.

CF

Thanks Cobie. I'll check it out.

Yeah, let us know. I haven't tried to describe this before, only done it in person.

CF