Correct Technique For Series Of Corners?

pbrown

Just wondering what the technique is for a series of high speed corners (where you need to build the speed) as far as shutting the throttle before making the steering input is concerned.

I can understand the fact that if you transfer load to the front it turns better but is that what you need to do or should you momentarily stop winding the throttle on or do you keep winding the throttle on?

I'm not talking full lean but more a series of flicks.

The place im thinking of is Croft UK after clarke esses all the way to sunny in.

Just wondering what the technique is for a series of high speed corners (where you need to build the speed) as far as shutting the throttle before making the steering input is concerned.

I can understand the fact that if you transfer load to the front it turns better but is that what you need to do or should you momentarily stop winding the throttle on or do you keep winding the throttle on?

The place im thinking of is Croft UK after clarke esses all the way to sunny in.

PBrown,

A few things to look at here, but the first one would be, have you thought about breaking it down, corner by corner for the throttle controla aspect? Then another piece is look at it from the standpoint of the fast turns, and the slow ones, and where we will you make the most time--always in the fast turns.

PBrown,

A few things to look at here, but the first one would be, have you thought about breaking it down, corner by corner for the throttle controla aspect? Then another piece is look at it from the standpoint of the fast turns, and the slow ones, and where we will you make the most time--always in the fast turns.

]If I break it down for each corner then for the first slower

corner I would need to get off the throttle, do my turn & start applying

throttle progressivly thru' the turn. For the second faster corner I

would need to be applying gas thru' that 2nd corner to give me my

correct weight transfer.

If I had applied the right ammount of gas in the first corner to be

approaching the second corner at the correct speed then I wouldn't want

to chop the throttle but just keep winding it on. That would give me the

correct ammount of throttle for each corner but I would be turning while

on the throttle. Or am I missing something?

Hi pbrown

Thanks for posting this question as its something thats been messing with my head a bit too!

My problem comes from turns that require you to use the hip flick, or similarly quick side to side direction changes! The thing is say for example you have a right turn going into a left turn, your leaned over to the right so if you wanted to turn left on a closed throttle, at what point would you want to close the throttle? Dont fancy the idea of closing it while still leaned to the right, so would you have to pick the bike up, close the throttle when the bike is vertical, get over to your desired lean angle, then get back on the gas? If so thats alot of things to do in a short space of time.

Alternatively if you were to manage to maintain your roll on through the sequence of turns, when you flicked from right to left you would be effectively adding throttle and lean angle at the same time which is clearly a big no no!

It left me wondering if you should pause your roll on, hold throttle position in position while you make the left right transition!

Bobby

In some turns, with one faster than another, there is no other way than to just keep rolling the throttle on, but with modern tires and bikes, need to pay a bit of attention, as the front will for sure get light (or very light).

Pausing for a moment on the throttle, will that put a little more weight on the front, and then be a good time to turn the bike?

Pausing for a moment on the throttle, will that put a little more weight on the front, and then be a good time to turn the bike?

I was just going to say this. I learned that going to static throttle you can turn the bike because the force is going to push the front down while you turn, then get back on it.

Thanks Gents thats clarified that in my mind

So stopping the roll on fractionally before you turn adds enough weight to the front to get it to turn without losing too much speed. I did wonder whether that was the way to go rather than closing the throttle.