Retaking Levels 1 And 2

Back in the summer of 2002 I took level 1 of 2 of the school at Putnam Park Roadcourse in Indiana. I am considering taking some more classes this coming summer at VIR in May.

My question is......Should I retake level 1 and 2 since it has been a while since I had the instruction? I will admit that I cannot remember each and every moment of the 2 days that I spent learning but I do remember a majority of it. I still have the class materials that Keith handed out after each classroom session. Having said that I don't want to bite off more than I can chew by jumping right into level 3 if I should not be there. :blink: I have participated in track days. I am not unfamilar to the track.

What do you think?

Craig

Back in the summer of 2002 I took level 1 of 2 of the school at Putnam Park Roadcourse in Indiana. I am considering taking some more classes this coming summer at VIR in May.

My question is......Should I retake level 1 and 2 since it has been a while since I had the instruction? I will admit that I cannot remember each and every moment of the 2 days that I spent learning but I do remember a majority of it. I still have the class materials that Keith handed out after each classroom session. Having said that I don't want to bite off more than I can chew by jumping right into level 3 if I should not be there. :blink: I have participated in track days. I am not unfamilar to the track.

What do you think?

Craig

Craig;

I have been to a number of Schools over the past nine seasons and decided at the end of the '08 season that I needed to do something different; I needed to get off the plateau that I was stuck on for a couple of seasons. In November I retook Level I at one of the last School offered in 2008 then followed in March of '09 with Level II-IV. For me, it paid a pretty good dividend because going out and concentrating on each of the drills in each Level exclusively for a full session reintroduced the corrected technique that I had managed to reinvent for myself over those plateau years.

You may remember throttle control, turn points, the two-step, quick turning, wide view, etc. but in my case, I remembered them but wasn't using them like I could/should or modified them to dilute their effectiveness. Eight years is a long time away from the School's approach [iMHO] but you may have integrated them into your riding so effectivly that you're ready for level III.

Rainman

Exactly as Kevin said. It depends on how much you still use in your track riding. I believe that if I were to go 8 years between schools, I'm still doing plenty of track, and will have worked on levels 1-2 drills for 8 years.

Here is some food for thought: for sure a no-lose deal to re-take the levels. L-1 and 2 are really core material. If a bit fuzzy on any of it, that's a solid approach.

Level 3 will be another set of new skills, primarily physical, how you work best with the bike.

Level 4 will be an individualized program, so we can pick up and hone in on what you need the most work on, whatever level. That can be done any number of times.

One thing is, what are you long-term goals for riding?

Best,

Cobie

What do you think?

Craig

Craig,

It seems won't hurt to move on to level 3 or 4, then retake level 1 and 2 later. They are different skills and you may see the level 1 and 2 drills quite differently after you have the taste of level 3 skill too. I find able to hang off a little bit and know the possibility of correcting line with hook turn from level 3 exercise, helps me to do the quick turn drill of level 1 differently. At least at higher entry speed, it becomes less frightening.

What do you think?

Craig

Welcome to the forum by the way! I do my track riding at Putnam, it sure would be handy to have the school come there! My riding buddy and I are looking at doing the level 2 at VIR next May too.