Something I Didnt Find In Twist 1 Or 2

After finishing Twist two for about the tenth time, I noticed there wasnt much covered in the area of shifting...specifically, do you recommend NEVER shifting in a turn while leaned over, and when you do, is there a "Code" way to do it? I am having problems smoothly downshifting coming into turns (even when I slow down to try to practice) I have the tendency to left off the brake when I blip the throttle and let out the clutch (clutch comes out brake goes off), it is worse when I have two or more gears to downshift. I also am scared to downshift in transition turns when there isnt much rooom between a left and a right because if I blow the shift I will hop the rear tire. I have been trying to practice at track days but I cant seem to make progress. Any words of wisdom? BTW...When should I let the clutch out all the way after the final shift, I think all shifting should be done (clutch fully engaged) before you enter (start) a turn, but I have been trying to watch the Pro AMA guys let out the clutch and they mostly seem to feed the clutch AND brake all the way to the APEX of the turn...this seems to go against other principles of cornering?Is this how the pro guys make the rear end come around to square up a entrance to a corner? I am signed up for level two and three at Barber (2 day camp) but would like to work on this before the school so time isnt wasted.

Keith just finsished a really cool new training aid called the Control Trainer. It's like a video game where you sit on a real bike with all the controls and it teaches you how to brake and downshift while blipping the throttle and all. It's available at all the schools. It has two progams on it, one teaches you how to brake and downshift the other teaches you how to do clutchless upshifts.

I recall seeing that machine in the garage and there were a few people that tried it. I was too afraid to ask because I thought it was only available for the upper level students. It looked pretty nifty, though!

Hi Guys,

One thing we have been working on here in the UK is a 'live' version of the brake and downshift drill. So far we have had good results but it is surprising how much of the actions you do without thinking.

Paul is coming over to the US later in the year and I know Keith is keen to see what he has come up with....

• 2 weeks later...