What Is It I Really Want To Learn?

For me, going faster, learning to race or finding the fastest lines are not high priorities. Strangely enough, as I think it through, I really want Other things from a superbike class. Here they are:

1) I don't honestly and completely trust the bike to lean over without falling down or sliding out. I'd like to learn to trust the tires and not worry so much about leaning over and low siding.

2) I like to use my brakes hard, but how hard is too hard? I'd like to learn what the front tire feels like or sounds like just BEFORE it locks up.

3) A car invaded my space a few weeks back, and I had the almost overwhelming urge to turn the bars away before I got crushed. I BARELY stopped myself from counter steering the bike right into the pretty idiot on the cell phone. I'd like replace that natural reaction with something that won't get me killed.

4) Just how relaxed can I be and still control the bike? And how do vision, focus and the vanishing point relate to relaxation?

Maybe that's a weird list, but I think these are the things holding me back or worrying me as a rider. Are these things I could learn or work on in a Level 1, one day class?

Best wishes,

Crash106

Crash,

These are great questions for sure. I think you would really enjoy the training aids that Keith has developed. Specifically, the lean and slide and brake bikes. Both give you the confidence to take the bike to its limits and find your own sense of what is too much for the machine to handle. How much is too much of each is a painful lesson to learn outside of a safe training environment.

Situations like you discovered invoke many of our survival reactions, including being too stiff on the bars and visually fixating on the place you don't want to go. If you had more free attention at that moment could you turn the bike quicker? Could the throttle have gotten you out of the situation?

I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Jody

For me, going faster, learning to race or finding the fastest lines are not high priorities. Strangely enough, as I think it through, I really want Other things from a superbike class. Here they are:

1) I don't honestly and completely trust the bike to lean over without falling down or sliding out. I'd like to learn to trust the tires and not worry so much about leaning over and low siding.

2) I like to use my brakes hard, but how hard is too hard? I'd like to learn what the front tire feels like or sounds like just BEFORE it locks up.

3) A car invaded my space a few weeks back, and I had the almost overwhelming urge to turn the bars away before I got crushed. I BARELY stopped myself from counter steering the bike right into the pretty idiot on the cell phone. I'd like replace that natural reaction with something that won't get me killed.

4) Just how relaxed can I be and still control the bike? And how do vision, focus and the vanishing point relate to relaxation?

Maybe that's a weird list, but I think these are the things holding me back or worrying me as a rider. Are these things I could learn or work on in a Level 1, one day class?

Best wishes,

Crash106

Crash;

Everything you list is what the School is designed to address - and it does BIG TIME!

Get the books, watch the DVD and register. If you're in the Carolinas, VIR is in your back yard and Barber is a manageble drive [hell, almost all of us have to drive hundreds of miles to get to any track] .

Rainman

I am signed up for Barber June 4-5 and I echo Crash's wish list for things to learn. In addition I want to fix my cornering BP. I have done several (more than several actually) track days, primarily with NESBA, and I am stuck and not progressing. I really look forward to CSS to help me take a big step forward!

I am signed up for Barber June 4-5 and I echo Crash's wish list for things to learn. In addition I want to fix my cornering BP. I have done several (more than several actually) track days, primarily with NESBA, and I am stuck and not progressing. I really look forward to CSS to help me take a big step forward!

1 or 2 days Steve?

CF

1 or 2 days Steve?

CF

The two-day camp! Look forward to it. I have been to Barber a couple of times and really and really like it.

Best wishes,

Crash106

Weird? Not to me. That's a GREAT list!

1,3, and 4(to some degree) are addressed in the single day Level 1. Most of the vision skills are in level 2. And the Brake Rig (2) is only for 2-Day Camps.