Is This Youtube Crash From "trying" To Correct A Slide?

Crash106

Hello Cornering Experts,

I saw a high side crash on YouTube.com and it looked to me (and I don't know diddly about sliding a motorcycle) like the rider slid the rear tire, then chopped the throttle and turned into the slide. From "Twist II," this would be a perfectly natural--but wrong--thing to do. Am I seeing this correctly? You guys see and do a lot more of this stuff than I do. What do you think? The slide and high side happen at about 5:30 into the video. Thanks.

Keywords = Irene Crash Woman Motorcycle

Thanks,

Crash106

Hello Cornering Experts,

I saw a high side crash on YouTube.com and it looked to me (and I don't know diddly about sliding a motorcycle) like the rider slid the rear tire, then chopped the throttle and turned into the slide. From "Twist II," this would be a perfectly natural--but wrong--thing to do. Am I seeing this correctly? You guys see and do a lot more of this stuff than I do. What do you think? The slide and high side happen at about 5:30 into the video. Thanks.

Keywords = Irene Crash Woman Motorcycle

Thanks,

Crash106

It's pretty hard for me to see exactly what the girl did with her throttle hand. The thing that brought the slide on in the first place was she added lean angle and throttle at the same time--she had actually been leaned over more earlier in the turn, but then she added the 2 at the same time--deadly.

After watching Twist of the Wrist II I could see the crossed up riding position. Too far over and tight on the bike. Could all this been avoided with proper hang off? The bike would not have been as far over in the first place then.

Possibly avoided, she would have had more of a margin for sure. BUT...the adding throttle and lean angle is the deadly combo, it will defeat a lot of other really good technique.

CF

Maybe saying her blind luck could have been extended, rather than this being avoided, is more accurate. She had bad lines, and was making steering adjustments (adding lean angle along with throttle) while accelerating, through the whole video. She looks to have gotten just good enough with the lean angle to make that a dangerous thing.