Braking Doubts!

Please, I already read the two Books of Keith Code and watch the two DVDs many times, but still have a doubt about braking, maybe because my bad understanding in English language:

How I need to Brake to cornering in a track? Hard then Light, or Light than Hard? I think that what I undestood is light than Hard, but why???

In the DVD says that the Target is to set the speed in the minimum space possible, but brake hard all the time doesn´t do it better?

Why in the road is different from the track, like video says?

Please, someone give me the light to this doubt!

Thanks.

Please, I already read the two Books of Keith Code and watch the two DVDs many times, but still have a doubt about braking, maybe because my bad understanding in English language:

How I need to Brake to cornering in a track? Hard then Light, or Light than Hard? I think that what I undestood is light than Hard, but why???

In the DVD says that the Target is to set the speed in the minimum space possible, but brake hard all the time doesn´t do it better?

Why in the road is different from the track, like video says?

Please, someone give me the light to this doubt!

Thanks.

Hi there,

thanks for your question.

If you braked hard straight away, is it possible you might overwhelm the grip of the tyre immediately? If you then brake light initially, is it possible that you might load the tyre with some weight which might then allow you to load the tyre much harder? What difference do you think road conditions might make to either of the approaches you mentioned, say a wet road?

Have a think, let me know what you think.

Bullet

Pg 103 and 104 in my Twist 2. Chapter 24 covers braking.

There's also this: http://forums.superbikeschool.com/index.ph...pic=310&hl=

thread and probably many others.

Thank you very Much, Bullet!

I really understand your way of thought, but in the DVD says that, if I really understood, the purpose of it is to make the brake distance lower instead of a long way braking and already says that on the road the brake is different like that light, then Hard braking and like you said, it is very usefull in the road too!

I agree with what you said and noto with what I understand from DVD, mybe because my bad english .

I would still have a look at pg 103 and make sure that your way of thinking encompasses the point Keith makes that: "It's difficult to overcome the SRs (#7) which compel most riders to gradually increase the braking force and wind up with too much at the end." also, "Trapping yourself into heavy braking at your turn-point is working against the desired result."

I am not saying that your way of thinking is incorrect, only that you should also be taking into account all of the data in chapter 24.

Front brakes are the single most powerful item on the bike, and create a lot of force. We often see riders over braking, scrub off too much speed.

I read the page of the Twist of the Wrist II and it says to Brake Hard in the start and then light! Is that what really are there, or I had a bad understanding? If it is true, why brake hard and the light? Like bullet said, it would be better light, hard and light again.

No problem my friend. I'd also suggest you consider whether the release of the brakes is as important as the application of them, to highlight LWarner's point. What difference do you think heavy brakes to no brakes my have on the bike and the suspension?

Bullet