Do Riders Have Bigger Egos

In my study of professional athletes, I've noticed that others who are at the top of their chosen sport are willing to discuss and disclose names of people who helped them progress to their level, they pay homage.

This is not as much the case with professional racers. They even sometimes go through great lengths to conceal school attendance (coaches can verify this). For example the Makita Yoshimura Suzuki team have Kevin Schwantz on payroll but call him a "consultant".

Why is there such mystery about the accession of a racer's career and learning curve? Is there a conspiracy to make us believe that it is all talent, that some are born with it and others aren't? What if we discover that motorcycling is a learned skill, that can even be learned late in adulthood?

Just a thought I've been having during my morning shower...

I'd appreciate a sanity check.

My first thought is it isn't riders/racers exclusively; it's anyone who is 'young' in a high profile competitive arena especially where media is involved. It’s all a big ego stroke in construct and these guys are young guys soaking it up…ever notice how lady racers are in comparison? I cheer on chick racers, to me that’s cool!

Well, let's see: Arnold used to tell new bodybuilders all kinds of weird and misleading things, just to mess with them, slow down their progress and reduce the competition. I haven't heard a lot of THAT on road racing.

Let's see:

Rossi vs Biaggi

Rossi vs Gibernau

Rossi vs Stoner

Rossi vs Lorenzo

some have even said that his autobiography is laced with misinformation.. LOL

Seriously though, do you think the ego a hinderance to good riding or an asset?

I think to race at any level really competitively, you need to have self belief, and at world class level, it would lead to nigh on arrogance I'd suggest. Arrogance/Ego Hinderance? I suspect only in getting on with people, not in your racing results.

Bullet

I think to race at any level really competitively, you need to have self belief, and at world class level, it would lead to nigh on arrogance I'd suggest. Arrogance/Ego Hinderance? I suspect only in getting on with people, not in your racing results.

Bullet

Self confidence, one would need that to do anything well. One place it changes for me is simply manners.

CF