The Art Of Passing

nobody

since this is a forum for riders that go to tracks for racing or having fun then this subject will be very important.

now i am not going to explain the art of passing, i am hoping that on of the guys can illustrate it for me.

when i am racing passing an over lapped rider is very dangerous ( if dose not see the blue flag or do not give a f&%k about it ) they are unpredictable, if you fallow them you will see that they do not have a pattern for turning they turn early or late, for fast guys you can see or determine there turning points and you may be mistaking there turning mark buy 5 feet max.

my question is about passing fast guys, every rider in a race has another rider that is about as fast as him some times slow but he has a better start and now he is in front of me, he is riding a defensive line and i know i am faster than him because when i get to the apex i have to hit the brakes not to hit him, so it becomes a drag race to the next turn. 

i tried to pass from the outside but he kept pushing me out more and more till i hit the piano and it gets a bit slippery so i have to back off the throttle.

any tips?

since this is a forum for riders that go to tracks for racing or having fun then this subject will be very important.

now i am not going to explain the art of passing, i am hoping that on of the guys can illustrate it for me.

when i am racing passing an over lapped rider is very dangerous ( if dose not see the blue flag or do not give a f&%k about it ) they are unpredictable, if you fallow them you will see that they do not have a pattern for turning they turn early or late, for fast guys you can see or determine there turning points and you may be mistaking there turning mark buy 5 feet max.

my question is about passing fast guys, every rider in a race has another rider that is about as fast as him some times slow but he has a better start and now he is in front of me, he is riding a defensive line and i know i am faster than him because when i get to the apex i have to hit the brakes not to hit him, so it becomes a drag race to the next turn.

i tried to pass from the outside but he kept pushing me out more and more till i hit the piano and it gets a bit slippery so i have to back off the throttle.

any tips?

How I deal with that is you need to drive off the turn so much quicker, and get yourself up in the inside by the next turn. So if your competitor is slow mid turn, I try and turn in later, get the bike stood up and squared off earlier, and get the bike stood up and driving earlier than your compromised friend who's slow mid turn.

Trying to go around the outside is almost always going to end with you getting squeezed, unless you're brave, so following this advice, as you're counterpart runs wide, you'll be able to get out tighter, but crucially faster.

The other I find is you'll usually be quicker at some point than your racing counterpart somewhere? I'm often better at one spot than another racer, and perhaps vice versa.

Bullet

If possible, try to plan the move several corners ahead. Ideally, if the rider hampers you midcorner and getting out, you will sit back a few bikelenghts into a corner where you are significantly quicker, take up most of the slack on the brakes and start accelerating sooner with better drive. Ideally, you should just be alongside as the corner ends and then continue to pull away. If the rider is relatively weak on the brakes, using Bullet's advice is easier and better - just make sure you are really close and wait for the rider in front to brake first.

i know i am faster than him because when i get to the apex i have to hit the brakes not to hit him

So you know that you have closing speed but it is wasted because you run into him/her right at the apex? Would you still need to use the brakes :ph34r: if you timed it so that your greater corner speed met his slower speed after he'd left the apex?