Video Of Testing At Angelsey

Hi peeps,

I've just come back from testing my CBR600FV (1997) race bike at Angelsey in North Wales and a friend of mine has some video of me riding around, thought a few of you might be interested in some of the video (which is taken from behind, my bike is blue and i've got white leathers on) on my friends GSXR750K7. I didn't know the video was actually being taken, so I wasn't showboating or anything, just trying a few things as we race at this circuit. My main aim was to test a few things, bed my new brakes in and get used to my new race tyres, more of in a moment.

So, for some context, this was taken in 2nd session of the day, I'm running my race bike, which has about 110bhp at the rear wheel, (which is good for a steelie racer, which is the class I race in with Wirral 100). My friend's bike is about 140bhp at the back wheel and you can see it's noticably quicker in a straight line, but I hope I do him in the turns. laugh.gif This is the fast session of the trackday, most of the bikes are 1000's the occasional racer and 600. I'm fresh out of the pits and to note, I didn't use tyre warmers so just had to bed my tyres in and get them upto speed. The tyres are new to me and I shall be racing these now for the remainder of the year. They're Dunlop D211GP Racer NTEC's, in medium front, and endurance rear. Pressure from cold for your techno weenies is around 21 rear, and 29 front. Oh, and they're absolutely fantastic things. cool.gif

You'll see a very fast race bike at one point, he's running a superbike with about 195bhp at rear. The last 30 seconds of the video the more observant of you will notice a lad with one arm, (he's a superbikeschool student too, and races. top fella).

This first video is session 2, there is another one to come later on which is session 3, when I up the pace a little, and my friend struggles to keep up a bit, but you'll get the point, and see what a wonderful circuit Angelsey is. For those of you in the UK, come and ride, it's fantastic.

http://www.youtube.c...u/0/pZAn2CI8vC8 (session 2)

http://www.youtube.c...u/0/L_p8IqbvnyM (Session 3)

http://www.youtube.com/user/mclucker#p/u/0/PoPwqwcZMqY (sessoion 4), Last one he tried to keep up. smile.gif

Hope you enjoy, please post comments/observations, I'm always up for some input. I know I need to work harder on the brakes, but it's a trackday, and i'm trying to be relatively courteous. biggrin.gif

Bullet

Comments : Cool! That looked like fun! B)

Observations : There was only one clear cut point I saw where the gixxer camera guy could have passed you, but yeah, by the fourth video, think he was running out of gas (so to speak). He seemed like a good rider, but I'm really not qualified to have an opinion. Certainly seemed like the gixxer was screaming like a little girl sometimes though? :huh::lol:

Also, you really didn't look like you were trying very hard most of the time (guess they call that skill) and when you wanted speed, you had it. Your cornering didn't appear it required any effort, wow...cooler! ;)

Not knowing enough to know much, that Honda's looking good! :D

Thanks for posting that! Think I even learned a little about passing and I would have to say a tiny bit about good track day etiquette. :)

I've just come back from testing my CBR600FV (1997) race bike at Angelsey in North Wales

(snip)

... see what a wonderful circuit Angelsey is. For those of you in the UK, come and ride, it's fantastic.

(snip)

Hope you enjoy, please post comments/observations, I'm always up for some input. I know I need to work harder on the brakes, but it's a trackday, and i'm trying to be relatively courteous. :D

Nice track indeed! It seems that you're accelerating much harder out of the corners than your friend. Also, he seems to almost consistently miss the apex for the second part of the chicane as well as the following right-hander before the track starts to descend.

It being the UK, you were obviously quite lucky with the weather :D

Cheers,

Kai

Great video's Bullet. The track looks really good. Must put it down as a track " to do" smile.gif

Two things that i noticed were

1. the amount of times you had a quicker & tighter line coming out of the corners

and passing other riders on the inside. Is this a benefit of turning later &

quick turn???

2. your body position always parallel to the bike, compared to quite a few riders

you passed with a crossed up body position ( hips over into the turn, but the

head/shoulders still in the centre).

Chris.

Great video's Bullet. The track looks really good. Must put it down as a track " to do" smile.gif

Two things that i noticed were

1. the amount of times you had a quicker & tighter line coming out of the corners

and passing other riders on the inside. Is this a benefit of turning later &

quick turn???

2. your body position always parallel to the bike, compared to quite a few riders

you passed with a crossed up body position ( hips over into the turn, but the

head/shoulders still in the centre).

Chris.

it's not always wet in the uk KHP, just when you visit. my friend hasn't done the school, he's someone i've met over the years on trackdays and without doubt his lines are much worse when he isn't right behind me following, his throttle control also isn't great at times too. perhaps watching these may convince him to come? lol

chris, good observations. my lines are all about drive off the corners really, so that i ensure i don't compromise my drive. this requires a good quick turn and a consistent apex for sure. you should also notice how close i get my wheels to the white lines, not my knee on the lines, as it makes for an even better line.

second observation, again very good. it almost looks like i don't hang off the bike, but if you look very closely you'll see that i do but when do i move? the back of the race bike is old and is very wide, so it masks the hangoff more so than a slimmer modern bike. i do though make sure i keep my back parallel with the bike, ensures weight through legs and not in bars.

i will be going through with the guys next week, looking for refinement and improvements. am about 2-3 seconds of lap record pace for my class at mo.

Bullet

second observation, again very good. it almost looks like i don't hang off the bike, but if you look very closely you'll see that i do but when do i move?

Your body position movements are very subtle for sure. On reviewing the videos again, i would say you get your body position moved just before you start braking for the turn?? The only obvious change of body position is in the chicane.

Chris.

it's not always wet in the uk KHP, just when you visit.

Well, it was dry when I did Level 3, but not the day after, when I did (my first) Level 4.

Are you coming to Sweden (Gälleråsen) this year?

I'm in for two days of Level 4 on July 9th-10th. My photo-trigger-happy friend who took 5000+ pics in two days will take Level 1 & 2 on the same days. The plan is to hang around and just shoot pictures on the last day (11th).

Cheers,

Kai

second observation, again very good. it almost looks like i don't hang off the bike, but if you look very closely you'll see that i do but when do i move?

Your body position movements are very subtle for sure. On reviewing the videos again, i would say you get your body position moved just before you start braking for the turn?? The only obvious change of body position is in the chicane.

Chris.

very well spotted chris. you'll also see that if i am doing several corners in a row that go in the same direction i just remian hanging off to that side. again, most noticable inthe corners after the chicane. It's all about stability. :-)

Bullet

it's not always wet in the uk KHP, just when you visit.

Well, it was dry when I did Level 3, but not the day after, when I did (my first) Level 4.

I'm in for two days of Level 4 on July 9th-10th. My photo-trigger-happy friend who took 5000+ pics in two days will take Level 1 & 2 on the same days. The plan is to hang around and just shoot pictures on the last day (11th).

Cheers,

Kai

My friend I would love to be coming to Sweden, but I only get so many holidays from work and cannot out. I look forward to seeing your onboard vid and pics, and hearing about your improvement and breakthroughs.

Bullet

My friend I would love to be coming to Sweden, but I only get so many holidays from work and cannot out.

They expect you to WORK at work ???

Can't imagine what you're talking about :P

I still owe uploading videos from Lausitzring. Actually, I need to review them first and my computer isn't fast enough :unsure:

Cheers,

Kai

Great videos Bullet, really useful to watch.

How different would your lines be on a 1000cc bike?

Thanks very much, they've proved very useful for being able to review. On a modern 1000, well, it would depend i guess on suspension, tyres, etc, etc. As you can see from the video, the biggest difference apart from the couple of superbike race bikes that blow past is that 1000's just fire of the turns, so probably wouldn't be able to drive as early as that, but once driving, you'd easily pull out a lot of distance on a 1000 as you're talking about 60hp more at the back wheel than my 600, and they're much lighter and stiffer (so they feel a bit sharper).

In essence the same principles apply much the same to be honest, it's about the gas that's the main difference.

Bullet

That track looks way too dry, and the sky way too blue for a UK track day wink.gif

Lookin good mate!

Ha Ha.... What can I say mate, It was one of those lucky days...... wind blowing in the right direction, I had my lucky heather with me, and I'd pray to the rain gods.

Cheers for the comments, whilst I'm not in the best physical shape of my life at the mo, I'm riding ok it seems.. We're racing there again next weekend, hoping for a good result, and oddly, rain. As I go ok in the rain, and everyone's scared. wink.gif

Hope life's well with ya brother?

Bullet

Damn fine vids!!! I've only done level 1, but its nice to see some of the drills at work.... sooo that's good trottle control laugh.giflaugh.gif

Compared to you, I look like the 2 fools going up the mountain on the Twist2 dvd sad.gif

Looking forward to more vids... am a subscrber now ph34r.gifwink.gif