Knee Positioning

I am testing out various knee positions and want to get some idea of what other people are doing.

Do you try to stick out your knee

1) as far as possible

2) leave it neutral

3) have it wedged up near the fairing

Is it possible to drag your knee when its wedged up against the fairing?

I am testing out various knee positions and want to get some idea of what other people are doing.

Do you try to stick out your knee

1) as far as possible

2) leave it neutral

3) have it wedged up near the fairing

Is it possible to drag your knee when its wedged up against the fairing?

Hi Andrew,

Ok, answers to your questions vary on many factors really, one generally a consequence of lean angle/speed combination.

1) Generally only when riders have poor body position and little lean angle.

2) most confortable option I'd suggest

3) sometimes.

Is it possible to drag knee against fairing? Only if you're carrying really big lean angles and you have super sticky tyres. I'd suggest for most people, option 2 is the way to go.

Bullet

i stick my knee out but it goes no where near the ground sad.gif so level 3 thats wot i want to do buy the end of the year

i stick my knee out but it goes no where near the ground sad.gif

How do you know? You can't tell yourself, pics or external observation is the only way to be really sure....!wink.gif

Bullet

my pics from brands mate on a dvd i stick my leg out be for the corner but goes no where ha ha sum times i wonder y i do it . i think im not getting the bike over that much or speed not surehuh.gif

I typically keep my knees firmly between my hips and heels tongue.gif Seriously, though, I have exceptionally short thighs and comperatively long calfs, which makes my knees sit higher and point higher than for more normally proportioned people. This again makes it that much harder to get a knee down. Me not moving my butt sort of elminates any chance of ever getting a knee to the ground with the tyres still in contact with the road wink.gif

I once saw a front cover on Cycle World magazine portraying John Ulrich riding a GS750, knee down. Since I rode a GS550 at the time, a bike very similar to the 750, I decided to try. So I found a nice corner and had a friend watch how far my knee was off the ground. I had everything decked, inculding the engine/alternator cover while hanging off as best I could. My knee was well over a foot off the ground.

Ulrich not only had a better knee/calf ratio, but he could also splay is legs about twice as far as me. So he could do what I couldn't. But that was a quarter of a century ago, and I have never tried to get a knee down since. Instead, I much prefer to use my toesliders as reference for how far I'm leaned over. Interestingly enough, so did Lawwill, Nixon and Reiman when Cycle World invited them to test the latest and greatest sportbikes (FZR1000, GSX-R1100 and ZX-10).

BTW, I dug out the article and discovered they were about my current age at the time (50, 48 and 48 respectively vs 46 for me). Being a racer must be hard - they all looked VERY old! I showed the pictures to my wife, who figured they were in their mid-60s blink.gif

First time, my knee hit the deck it was unexpected and It wasn't the goal, per se. I moreso felt something graze my thigh and was thinking, 'what was that???' Then I realized that it was the raised edge of the curbing and that if I stuck my knee out and didn't get spooked, it would touch down, but it still didn't.

Gradually, lap after lap, I increased my speed in just that corner and then it happened. Soon it was happening in a few corners. Then I was just using it to tell me to arrest my lean angle and not get over any further.

Is it a cool feeling? HELL YEAH!!! But when I TRY to do it, it scares the ###### outta me, and I'm conscious that my BP is all jacked up.

BTW, I dug out the article and discovered they were about my current age at the time (50, 48 and 48 respectively vs 46 for me). Being a racer must be hard - they all looked VERY old! I showed the pictures to my wife, who figured they were in their mid-60s blink.gif

I suspect the 'age' you are seeing in the pictures is relative to the era. People often lived considerably less holistic lifestyles back then. Brings back a memory of when I was a kid back in the mid '70s when getting autographs from three major league baseball players and noticed (was hard not too) they were all skunk drunk and this was BEFORE the game. :rolleyes: Just don't see that sort of stuff today.

My dad got drunk most days of his life and started smoking at the tender age of 4(!) but looked younger than a couple of these blokes when he died aged 70. I guess genes also matter, not just lifestyle.

But for the record, yes, at least Nixon was infamous for living very hard.

A bit hard to call kids idiots - and once hooked on the bad habit, it's not easy to quit. After all, it is a drug and getting addicted is apparently easy. You will quit the day you get motivated to do so - if you don't die first tongue.gif

For your comfort, I think it is better to live "unhealthy" and be happy than live "healthy" and be miserable cool.gif

For your comfort, I think it is better to live "unhealthy" and be happy than live "healthy" and be miserable cool.gif

Amen to that ! Life is no dress rehersal. ;)

Bullet

Amen to that ! Life is no dress rehersal. ;)

I like how you guys think! Maybe I was born on the wrong continent. :lol:

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread...already in progress. :blink:

Umm...it appears a four letter word starting with 'C' and ending with 'P' commonly used to avoid expressing a form of vulgarity, is considered a vulgarity by the forum filters. Likely default behavior, but yeah, that's more restrictive than Disney! :rolleyes: