Lorenzo Of The Pace? Or Just Missing Rossi's Set Up Data?

After watching the gp at Mugello, I had a thought. Why was Lorenzo so far of the pace? I mean 7 seconds is a long time. It seems funny that the weekend that Rossi crashes and doesnt race that Lorenzo is suddenly way of the pace of Dani Pedrosa and Dovisioso right up his backside for practically the whole race.

So I pose this question. If Rossi had raced and completed his bike set up would Lorenzo have been closer to Dani? Would he have had all Rossi's set up data? Just seems to me that something Valentino mantioned a little while ago that if he wasnt circulating his set up data would Lorenzo be as competative as he is? Guess we'll find out over the next 3-4 months.

I think Lorenzo just got a tyre that wasn't quite optimal. We have seen this for years in F1, where tyre changes have been mandatory, that a car suddenly goes slower or faster after a tyre change and that the drivers talks about presumably identical tyres acting a little differently.

Although I regard Rossi as the greatest rider of all times, I do think the Jorge is able to match Rossi these days on pace and also regarding setup. Thinking that nobody can get it right without help from Valentino is doing them unjust, I think. But as you said, the next weeks and probably months will tell.

Rossi's accident, however, did remind me of Doohan in 1999. Doohan had struggled with pace for the initial two races due to the factory having moved the fuel tank a few mm (without informing Mick) which made the bike "impossible to ride properly". Once sorted, Doohan wanted to put the record straight in Catalunya and was clearly fastest through practice - until he tried too hard, made a mistake and touched the still damp and slippery rumble strip. The rest is history.

Rossi performed under pari for two races due to a shoulder injury and wanted to state an example. Like Doohan, not only to show they are still fast, but to regain that important mental edge. And like Doohan, Rossi tried just a little too hard and messed up.

Should Jorge become champion this year, it will be deserved. Not only did Rossi make his own mistake (unlike Capirossi in 2006, when he was in with a very good chance of taking the title), but he was leading the title chase at the time of the accident. Furthermore, he has pushed Rossi far more than any former teammate during the previous 2 seasons, showing he has the speed required to go neck and neck with the very greatest.

MCN put a different spin on Rossi's crash

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/MotoGP/2010/June/jun0810-Valentino-Rossi-and-the-curse-of-the-cold-tyre/

...Rossi unfortunately contributed to his own demise. His own reluctance to show rookie Hector Barbera the secrets to a fast lap round the spectacular Mugello track cost him dearly.

Rossi had slowed by nine seconds in the third section to avoid towing Barbera, but in doing so he’d let crucial temperature drop out of the left side of his rear Bridgestone tyre and he high-sided at over 100mph when he decided to revert back to his full flying pace.

Rossi had slowed by nine seconds in the third section to avoid towing Barbera, but in doing so he'd let crucial temperature drop out of the left side of his rear Bridgestone tyre and he high-sided at over 100mph when he decided to revert back to his full flying pace.

Yep that came straight from Jeremy Burgess' mouth when he was being interviewd by Steve Parish before the race