Two Days Of Level 4 At Gelleråsen

Just like Hansi, I was at Gelleråsen for CSS classes in the past weekend.

I'd like to say a big thanks to JET, Spidey and Nemo, who were my Level 4 Liaisons and coaches (JET and Spidey swapped roles from Friday to Saturday - actually a brilliant idea).

We had a very intimate little Level 4 group going with just three students on both Friday and Saturday, so Spidey & JET got to film all three of us in all the sessions.

On the first day, we got working on getting rid of my tunnel vision, and getting that drive working right from the lean angle is set, instead of waiting to the apex, and on the second day I was working on body position. Sheesh, that Knee flick is still difficult to get right! My (very) long legs and arms also meant that I had to figure out a way to move my arms when going into and out of the Hook Turn position, as my knee is in the way of my elbow.

Before coming the Gelleråsen, I was a little hesitant regarding doing several Level 4 days in a row, since I was a little disappointed from my first Level 4. What made all the difference was that this time around, I was arriving with a clear idea of where and what I wanted to improve.

I had mounted my video camera pointing forwards, and it was actually useful from time to time, since the coaches had problems with their GoPro camera, so we actually used my video to review both my lines, but also one of the other students, as I had happened to be just behind him for about a lap, before passing him. :)

All in all a big thumbs up to the entire CSS UK team and the SMC team for organizing the days, and providing the wrangling, cornerworking and other services.

Cheers,

Kai

Just like Hansi, I was at Gelleråsen for CSS classes in the past weekend.

All in all a big thumbs up to the entire CSS UK team and the SMC team for organizing the days, and providing the wrangling, cornerworking and other services.

Cheers,

Kai

Kai,

Glad to hear this. A standing request to you (and any student really): if your training is not going as you expect/hope it should, don't hesitate one second to talk with either Jet or Andy (in other words the Chief Riding Coach or School Director).

Level 4 is a different animal than the previous levels, and takes a shift in what the students have to do, and how they interact with the coaching staff. It's designed to be personal, so it requires the rider/athlete to make sure he is communicating with his on-track coach, as well as the L-4 Consultant.

The previous levels are more structured, but L-4 is the time to make it individual. Some students really enjoy the L-4 group discussions (most I'd say). But now and again I come across a student that actually does not like that, just muddies up what he needs to work on. In that case, we just work with him individually, he's not required to sit in on the group.

CF

Glad to hear this. A standing request to you (and any student really): if your training is not going as you expect/hope it should, don't hesitate one second to talk with either Jet or Andy (in other words the Chief Riding Coach or School Director).

Thanks, I understand that.

I realize I didn't explain well why I was disappointed with my first Level 4. Allow me correct that: it had everything to do with myself, and nothing to do with neither coach nor Liaison.

Thinking the experience over later, I found that I wasn't very clear on which parts of my riding that I wanted to work on, and why, ahead of time. I was more like "OK, doing a single day when I'm driving all the way from Denmark to Silverstone and back, so why don't I do both Level 3 and 4 while I'm there.", and the results followed (OK, pissing rain didn't help either. But that's just me). I didn't have a plan for the day.

Since then, I've taken time to observe and work with my driving, in order to better pinpoint the places where I needed help. And that's what made all the difference.

I wonder if other students who did their first Level 4 just the day after another level have observed the same "doldrum"?

Best regards,

Kai