Why Did Pedrosa Crash At Motegi?

OK, we know the throttle stuck (partially?) open and that the crash would not have happened without that. But do you reckon Pedders could have saved it if he had pulled the clutch and stopped? Even if couldn't stop in time, his speed when heading for the gravel trap should have been quite low. Was it SR kicking in? Or are they so close to the limit that when the engine keeps making power unexpectedly, disaster is virtualy inevitable?

For those who haven't seen it, here's a clip onboard (near the end) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E53BB6AqGcQ&feature=player_embedded

OK, we know the throttle stuck (partially?) open and that the crash would not have happened without that. But do you reckon Pedders could have saved it if he had pulled the clutch and stopped? Even if couldn't stop in time, his speed when heading for the gravel trap should have been quite low. Was it SR kicking in? Or are they so close to the limit that when the engine keeps making power unexpectedly, disaster is virtualy inevitable?

For those who haven't seen it, here's a clip onboard (near the end) http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

Watching those people ride and the way the handle the bike (sliding, wabbling, etc.), the only thing I can consider is he was goning to fast.

At the speed they race, it just takes miliseconds for things to happen. I did not see the entire video so I am just guessing.

But I could be wrong.

I've watched it a few times, and you can see it all went wrong very, very quickly. Apparently (in the UK press today), the throttle cable snagged in the throttle housing (i.e. the cable in the twistgrip), and the bike was pinned and he couldn't roll of the gas. Having seen how quick these bikes are up close and in person, I doubt anyone would have been able to do anything different given the space he had, and the speed the bike was already going. He clearly hit the brakes which is why it tucked the front on him, but the bikewas driving as hard as it could, I reckon I'd have hit the brakes too. smile.gif

Were there SR's involved there though, which was the question? Definitely, but we all get them, it's the ability to override them and counter them that's the real skill, and I don't believe he had the time to do it, even if he had the pressence of mind.

Bullet

SR's, survival reactions, we teach our selfs to combat the ones that can harm us WHEN THE BIKE IS IN GOOD WORKING ORDER!

You know the list of SR's, you know what causes them and the effects of overcoming them, I ride a 110 BHP bike and am about double Dani's weight and I dont know what I'd do if my throttle jammed open (pinned) never mind trying to control a 220 bhp buck n bronco pinned! No one can be prepared for something like that, not even the top guys in the world, and think of this, even if he could have thought of pulling in the clutch, would you allow an engine to blow at 20000 revs while sitting on it?

• 2 weeks later...

No one can be prepared for something like that, not even the top guys in the world, and think of this, even if he could have thought of pulling in the clutch, would you allow an engine to blow at 20000 revs while sitting on it?

My thoughts exactly. I'm sure he's never experienced that, and at that point he's in the same boat as all of us would be: new situation. I've seen people who don't drop the bike go into the walls at very high speeds. Whether by luck or with intent, I'm sure tucking the front is the best thing that could have happened.

In hindsight, the logical thing from my point of view, sitting well relaxed in an office chair, would be to pull the clutch and stop the thing as quickly as possible. OTOH, these people are riding so close to the limit that everything would have to be more or less automatic, I presume, and they wouldn't have room for dealing with situations like these.

In hindsight, the logical thing from my point of view, sitting well relaxed in an office chair, would be to pull the clutch and stop the thing as quickly as possible. OTOH, these people are riding so close to the limit that everything would have to be more or less automatic, I presume, and they wouldn't have room for dealing with situations like these.

LOL,

Did you really just compare relaxing in an office chair to riding an out of control RC212V?