Tires Wear Front And Rear

troy0907

Hi Troy,

surely nothing to worry about when you still have plenty of tyre left to use in the corner!

More to the point, this might as well be bike geometry related, I'm guessing yours is the 'curvy' Suzuki SV 650? I used to observe the same thing on my track SV650, regardless of the tyre make I was using.

In my experience, geometry and tyre design can have an influence on this. Many years ago I had a Vulcan, and the stock Bridgerock would wear to its edges whereas the accompanying rear from the same maker had plenty of virgin rubber. I replaced the gripless Japanese rim protectors with a pair of Pirellis - MT75 front and MT66 rear - and they were perfectly matched on my bike. Most likely because the MT75 was a sportier tyre of the two, since the radical geometry of a cruiser will usually cause the front tyre to lean more in certain circumstances.

On my current bike, a Triumph hybrid between a Daytona and a Thunderbird, I first ran Bridgestone BT001 front and BT014 rear. They were not well matched, with the rear reaching the edge while the front still had around 6 mm of untouched rubber on the sides. I replaced the rear with a Pirelly Diablo Strada, which turned out to be perfectly matched to the front in the way that they both reached their edges simultaneously.

Personally, I would not want a front to reach its edges before the rear since a sliding front is less desireable than a sliding rear tyre. It could be that raising the rear and/or dropping the front will bring the tyres closer in performance. Otherwise, you may want to search for different tyres that suits your bike and riding style better. Also, if you run a 60-profile front tyre, chances are that it will have a profile that is a bit flatter, meaning it will reach its edges sooner than a 70-profile tyre, all things else being equal.

Depeds on a few things, are you sitting very close to the tank, this will put more weight over the front and give extra wear, also are you following TC rule #1? If your not cracking the throttle asap then you are loading the front more until you get on the gas!

Because i had some spinning on the previous track day so on the last track day i decided to sit further to the back. So it maybe previously it could be but not anymore. I tried to crack the throtle a.s.a.p but i will take the point and work on it. It might that i did not open the throttle enough to reduce the load from the front to the rear to get 40/60. Thanks all for all the ideas. Troy