First Time Student, Long Time Rider

I'm planning on taking the SuperBike School to improve my riding skills and for fun. I don't have any dreams of getting into racing. My question is: I'd like to ride my own bike to save money and because this what I'm familiar with. It's an 86 Honda VFR 750, she still runs great. The other question is my Aerostich suit OK to use? I've done track days at the Streets of Willow with it. Thanks.

I'm planning on taking the SuperBike School to improve my riding skills and for fun. I don't have any dreams of getting into racing. My question is: I'd like to ride my own bike to save money and because this what I'm familiar with. It's an 86 Honda VFR 750, she still runs great. The other question is my Aerostich suit OK to use? I've done track days at the Streets of Willow with it. Thanks.

Hi lewisa97,

I'd say your VFR will be just fine - For what it's worth: I've seen everything from 1000cc "superbikes" over sport-tourers and touring bikes over Harleys, a CBX1000F (the 6-cyl inline monster) and to offroaders at the school in Sweden.

Likewise, the Aerostich should be perfectly fine too, assuming it is in good condition.

Kai (just another student)

For sure can do on your bike and with that suit. Here are 2 thoughts:

1. I have seen guys scuffed up in that suit, when I didn't think they should have been, not a big deal, but last time I tested my suit, didn't even get a scratch or a bruise. Some think it more possible to tumble as opposed to slide in leather. So, I'm kinda a leather fan.

2. Some really get a good result by riding a bike that's really nicely set up, suspension is fresh, tires state of the art, etc. With this, more attention can be put on the riding, and it will transfer to your bike easily, but you would have been on a bike where the limitations won't be the bike (not that they will be on yours, but we have seen it happen).

On top of that, why not ride the baddest boy on the block.

But of course I will say this, I'm biased!

CF

Riding a bike you're comfortable on while doing the school will be helpful so you don't have to focus on getting used to a different bike. You'll learn a lot regardless which bike you ride. And if it comes to doing four levels for the price of a two day, I'm for all the levels.

Thanks for the input. This gives me a lot to consider, I guess the main reason I want to use my bike is to save money. But I'll have to spend money to get it ready, like new tires. So it might even out. The down side is: If I ride one of those BMW's I might just have to get one. I'll have a tough time selling the wife on that!