Winter Storage

ok boring subject i know !

i,d rather be out on track wearing them out !!!!!!!!!!!! but in my garage i have some wets (inflated on wheels) - part worns ( on the bike inflated, on paddock stand each end )and some unmounted part worns and importantly a new set of gp racers unmounted .

main concern is the cold its been getting minus 3 or 4 degrees on a few occasions here .

for the record i keep mine ( when in the cold ) not in contact with the floor and covered with a few sheets and in the upright ( not laid flat ) i also occasionaly turn the wets . am i paranoid !!! about getting flat spot 1 side ha ha ha , l.o.l

i,v chatted with a couple of suppliers long ago and they just said keep like this , i,m guessing a lot of frost wouldn,t do them any good though .

incidentally the wets are a couple of years + old now although not physically worn out . do they have a shelf life regardless ?

incedentally i,m aware that some tyres are more succebtible to heat cycles ( regardless physical wear ) e.g the pirelli diablo supercorsa,s so i,m led to believe by 1 racer . and some are less so e.g the dunlop gp racers .

roll on the thaw !!

ok boring subject i know !

i,d rather be out on track wearing them out !!!!!!!!!!!! but in my garage i have some wets (inflated on wheels) - part worns ( on the bike inflated, on paddock stand each end )and some unmounted part worns and importantly a new set of gp racers unmounted .

main concern is the cold its been getting minus 3 or 4 degrees on a few occasions here .

for the record i keep mine ( when in the cold ) not in contact with the floor and covered with a few sheets and in the upright ( not laid flat ) i also occasionaly turn the wets . am i paranoid !!! about getting flat spot 1 side ha ha ha , l.o.l

i,v chatted with a couple of suppliers long ago and they just said keep like this , i,m guessing a lot of frost wouldn,t do them any good though .

incidentally the wets are a couple of years + old now although not physically worn out . do they have a shelf life regardless ?

incedentally i,m aware that some tyres are more succebtible to heat cycles ( regardless physical wear ) e.g the pirelli diablo supercorsa,s so i,m led to believe by 1 racer . and some are less so e.g the dunlop gp racers .

roll on the thaw !!

When you store the tires, keep them away from electrical motors (like your freezer) or electrical devices. These electrical fields can emit ozone and other rubber depleting agents.

Keep them from fertilizer, it too emits chemicals that deplete rubber.

All to often a rider will park their bike next to the freezer or the bag of weed-and-feed in their garage over the winter, only to find the sidewall on one side weather cracked. Just park your bike on the other side of the garage, or remove these factors from the storage area.

Putting the bike on a bike stand is a good idea, but not a must. The flat spot will round out when the tire us warmed up and rolled on. Certainly the tire will be contorting heavily when hot, the flat spot not do the same thing. Don't lose sleep over it.

Your 2 year old rains are an issue if the tread cuts have lost their sharp edges from use. If the tire was new, you have no problem in a tire that is a couple of years old. Its how sharp the edges are that is the biggest factor in a rain tire being good or bad.

Heat cycles: Dunlops are not very effected by heat cycles. Tires wear out, the rubber gets thinner and they lose grip from that action. Heat cycle is not something you need to be concerned with is you use Dunlops. The importance of this is like a glass of water to a swimming pool.

Remember my words, because it going to come up a lot in future posts - "the rubber gets thinner and they lose grip from that action".

Thanks for the info cobie and especially steve

just thought i was being paranoid ! but sounds like a bit of care and attention and i,m o.k - luckily no freezer / fridge in garage at min and no fertilizer although there is a couple of bags of lime / cement .

winter just came back with a vengeance though .

i know what you mean about heed your words i,ll bet i,ll be asking you the same question a different way at some stage !!

great idea for a tyre forum section especially with informed advice . thanks