Pirelli Tyre Forum Link

For those who are running Pirelli tires, the Diablo Racer forum may be of value.

Kai (hoping that I won't attract the unforgiving wrath of Steve and Cobie for this)

We are real mad now. Cobie what's his address? I'm getting on a flight now to Denmark. Or better yet, who cares, we will beat them on the racetrack, let them speak all they want. ;)

Its all good Kai, more information is better. (and now for a little bench racing and smack talking) Besides, when the Pirelli guys get their product working at its best, our victory is even sweeter.

For those who are running Pirelli tires, the Diablo Racer forum may be of value.

Kai (hoping that I won't attract the unforgiving wrath of Steve and Cobie for this)

We are real mad now. Cobie what's his address? I'm getting on a flight now to Denmark. Or better yet, who cares, we will beat them on the racetrack, let them speak all they want. ;)

Its all good Kai, more information is better. (and now for a little bench racing and smack talking) Besides, when the Pirelli guys get their product working at its best, our victory is even sweeter.

Since this is a Pirelli thread, I'll post this here but I'd like some feedback from Steve if you'll venture a guess on this. I've been a pretty big fan of Dunlops ever since I did my first track day with the school on Qualifiers. I love the new Q2s and plan on sticking with them for the long term but I currently have a couple of sets of Supercorsa SC2s in the rack. I got them super cheap from a racer friend of mine and thought they'd be good to have for the occasional really hot day that we get here down south. He worked the right side pretty good (no longer symmetrical) but I figured they were good for a track day or two at my so-so pace(maybe flip the rear?). My question now is, which will likely stick better as they currently are? I realize that the thinner used Pirelli tires will have less grip than before but they were initially a grippier race tire. Eventually I'd like to try the D211GPAs but my speed doesn't warrant the expense right now and my bike is also pulling street and track duty so the Q2s are a better compromise for me without having to swap them out all the time. Thanks for any info or opinions.

Since this is a Pirelli thread, I'll post this here but I'd like some feedback from Steve if you'll venture a guess on this. I've been a pretty big fan of Dunlops ever since I did my first track day with the school on Qualifiers. I love the new Q2s and plan on sticking with them for the long term but I currently have a couple of sets of Supercorsa SC2s in the rack. I got them super cheap from a racer friend of mine and thought they'd be good to have for the occasional really hot day that we get here down south. He worked the right side pretty good (no longer symmetrical) but I figured they were good for a track day or two at my so-so pace(maybe flip the rear?). My question now is, which will likely stick better as they currently are? I realize that the thinner used Pirelli tires will have less grip than before but they were initially a grippier race tire. Eventually I'd like to try the D211GPAs but my speed doesn't warrant the expense right now and my bike is also pulling street and track duty so the Q2s are a better compromise for me without having to swap them out all the time. Thanks for any info or opinions.

Cliff,

Its hard to really give you a clear answer without the tires being right in front of me. When it comes to used tires, "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder". You will need to make the judgment yourself.

Some points to consider:

Is my setup good with the tire I have now, and is a different tire going to be a big deal to change the setup and is it worth it for a used tire?

Is the worn side of this used tire going to magically give me great grip now that I flipped the tire?

Is the savings on running the worn used tire going to outweigh the uncertainty I will now have as ride on my fun track day? Thus taking away on the fun factor of my track day?

Cliff,

Not to just throw a shameless plug up here for new tires, but I have run tires right down to the cords before, and I also crashed on a set of tires that was quite worn, and frankly I think was a major factor in the crash---this was 1978, I didn't know much about tires and let them get pretty worn.

I personally like to err on the side of good rubber. While those used race tires could be fine, the thing that grabbed my attention was they aren't symetrical?

I've gone both ways, could be just fine, but I'd err on the side of good rubber.

Best,

CF

Cliff,

Not to just throw a shameless plug up here for new tires, but I have run tires right down to the cords before, and I also crashed on a set of tires that was quite worn, and frankly I think was a major factor in the crash---this was 1978, I didn't know much about tires and let them get pretty worn.

I personally like to err on the side of good rubber. While those used race tires could be fine, the thing that grabbed my attention was they aren't symetrical?

I've gone both ways, could be just fine, but I'd err on the side of good rubber.

Best,

CF

I have to also own up, I've crashed twice on very worn rear tyres over the many years, (lowsides both times), and I have to confess, untill I read the thread on depth being a big factor in grip, i really didn't know, and used to just think the problem was wear and heat cycles. (shows you there is always something to learn). B)

I wouldn't even contemplate not changing a tyre now that's got a worn of edge, as my bikes a hell of a lot more expensive to repair than replacing the tyres.

Just thought I'd add to the point.

Bullet