Noise Levels...

Hi all, i have just registered for the forum as i am very interested in attending CSS this summer, hopefully to attend at least levels 1 - 3... I would like to use my own bike if possible 2010 ABS Fireblade.

Problem is i am aware there are noise restrictions at Silverstone and my bike has a Yoshimura R77 race can fitted without the decibel limiter. I have no idea if it would pass the restrictions or how i could find out the levels prior to booking ?

Of course being turned away because my bike is too noisy wouldn't be nice.

Any advice on this would be appreciated ?

Steve.

Hi all, i have just registered for the forum as i am very interested in attending CSS this summer, hopefully to attend at least levels 1 - 3... I would like to use my own bike if possible 2010 ABS Fireblade.

Problem is i am aware there are noise restrictions at Silverstone and my bike has a Yoshimura R77 race can fitted without the decibel limiter. I have no idea if it would pass the restrictions or how i could find out the levels prior to booking ?

Of course being turned away because my bike is too noisy wouldn't be nice.

Hi Steve,

Welcome aboard the forum. I had exactly the same question 2 years ago before attending on Silverstone South. I shot off an email to Silverstone's Enquiries email, and this is what they replied:

Hi Kai,

We measure noise in 2 different ways.

We have a static measurement. That is taken at 3/4 maximum revs, 1/2 a meter from the exhaust at 45 degree angle. We have a limit of 105dB for this measurement.

The other reading we carry out, and is perhaps the most important. Is a drive-by reading. There are noise meters located at various locations around the circuit (where cars/bikes are more likely to be at maximum revs). We have a limit of 102 dB for this measurement.

My Yoshimura full-exhaust system was significantly above the limit, even with a dB-killer inserted so I ended up putting the standard exhaust back on and I haven't looked back since then (too many noise problems these days).

Best regards,

Kai

Hi guys,

A great deal of students come to school with race systems and I only remember one instance where we have had to stop them riding the bike. I think that bike was measuring around 114db by the circuit staff and they stopped it from riding. We don't do static noise tests at Silverstone and I would be surprised if your can caused you any issues at all, as the limit is 105db which is very loud.

Check out our FAQ on the uk site. http://www.superbikeschool.co.uk/faq.php

You yoshi being new should be close to it's standard rating which would normally be around 102db. my advice would be bring as it is and enjoy! :D

Look forward to seeing you this year.

Bullet

Hi guys,

A great deal of students come to school with race systems and I only remember one instance where we have had to stop them riding the bike. I think that bike was measuring around 114db by the circuit staff and they stopped it from riding. We don't do static noise tests at Silverstone and I would be surprised if your can caused you any issues at all, as the limit is 105db which is very loud.

Check out our FAQ on the uk site. http://www.superbike...l.co.uk/faq.php

You yoshi being new should be close to it's standard rating which would normally be around 102db. my advice would be bring as it is and enjoy! :D

Look forward to seeing you this year.

Bullet

Thanks Bullet, just the kind of advice i like to hear rolleyes.gif Can't wait... Kai thanks to you too, but putting the bike back to standard definately far too much like hard work....

For me it is either accepted as it is or i use one of the CSS bikes, would just be nice to have some reassurance that i wouldn't be turned away if i go down the option of using my own bike and potentially lose the training and the money before i have even got a lap under my belt....

Mine was measured at 122dB @ 3/4 rpm, including a dB-killer that took 10dB out :blink:.

The guy measuring it said he wasn't surprised, as most Yoshi's he had measured was significantly louder than, say, Akrapovic's.

Like I said, I replaced it with stock and haven't looked back.

Mine was measured at 122dB @ 3/4 rpm, including a dB-killer that took 10dB out :blink:.

The guy measuring it said he wasn't surprised, as most Yoshi's he had measured was significantly louder than, say, Akrapovic's.

Oh my god, really! That must have sounded amazing!

Bullet

Bullet

Hmmm maybe the bike hire will be the only option then.... sad.gif

Hmmm maybe the bike hire will be the only option then.... sad.gif

Don't give up yet - find someone who can do a correct noise measurement and get a reading. Maybe a trackday vendor or someone at the local racetrack?

Bullet: yes, it sounded awesome going down the start/finish line at Lausitzring with the big stands echoing :D:D:D

Kai

See if you can get to a track-day, any track-day that is running, doesn't even have to be at Silverstone, just turn up on the day and ask nicely if they'll noise-test your bike, then you'll have an idea of how loud it is. MOT stations might have the equipment to measure it too.

See if you can get to a track-day, any track-day that is running, doesn't even have to be at Silverstone, just turn up on the day and ask nicely if they'll noise-test your bike, then you'll have an idea of how loud it is. MOT stations might have the equipment to measure it too.

Thanks Steve, they might be a workable option rolleyes.gif