Tires Turning Blue

In the thread about pressures, Glenn asked this question:

>

One more question, what causes the tire surface to turn blue and is it detrimental to the tire's performance?

Glenn

>

I didn't see an answer, and I think it is a great question, can you tell us a little about "bluing"? I have run across some organizations that will reject tires in tech inspection if they look blue, and I have heard it said that blue tires are 'greasy' and slippery, but I've also heard others say that it's superficial and will scrub off in a few laps. What's the real deal? :)

This was in an earlier thread in the tire sectio a week ago :)

Bluing on rubber surface.

The oils in the compound of the tire are simply flowing out of the tire. This action will happen regardless if it turns blue or not. It is always happening to some degree. Heat accelerates this process.

The blue is not good or bad. Bluing is not a requirement, or unwanted. It just is.

If the tire is made with more carbon and less oil, there might be less bluing possible. On the other hand if there is more oil and less carbon in the tire, you may see more bluing. Tires made with more oils have a higher potential for grip.

Another Myth bites the dust! Thanks for the assist Kai.

If you had someone at tech turn you away, I would have to say that was not correct if the blue on the tire was the ONLY reason given.

Congrats Glenn! You made it on the pinned sticky: http://forums.superb...indpost&p=21033

Steve Brubaker

Dunlop/Race Tire Service Inc.

Distributor for Dunlop racing tires Eastern USA

615-641-3323 work

www.dunlopracing.com

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/dunlopracing

Oh, sure enough, there it is. Sorry for the repeat question! That's what I get for trying to look at the forum on my itty bitty phone screen. Thanks Fossil, hope all is well with you, and thanks Steve for clearing that up - I hope the guys that do tech inspections at track days are reading this forum! :)

Oh, sure enough, there it is. Sorry for the repeat question! That's what I get for trying to look at the forum on my itty bitty phone screen. Thanks Fossil, hope all is well with you, and thanks Steve for clearing that up - I hope the guys that do tech inspections at track days are reading this forum! :)

What organizations do you know that are rejecting tires that have bluing?

What organizations do you know that are rejecting tires that have bluing?

It was in the SportBikeTrackTime rules:

Tires and brakes must be in good condition. Tires should be at least 75% of new condition. Any tires that are bluing from excessive wear will be disallowed. Slicks are allowed in 85% plus condition.

but I don't know if it still says that. I also see it in a website for another school, I'll PM you the URL.

I use a friends old track tires on the street. The last set I got from him were very blue but as soon as they touched the road they looked black like any other tire. That tells me its not an accurate gauge of a tires condition by whether they're blue or not. Someone elses tires might be black but still in worse condition than tires with some bluing.

I use a friends old track tires on the street. The last set I got from him were very blue but as soon as they touched the road they looked black like any other tire. That tells me its not an accurate gauge of a tires condition by whether they're blue or not. Someone elses tires might be black but still in worse condition than tires with some bluing.

Spot on observation Dave!

• 8 years later...

Hello.  I have been watching the phenomena of tires turning blue for a long time.

My first pick was a 78 GMC with all season radials.  I noticed that periodically the tires would have a blue colour to them.   

I next noticed it when when I was working road construction in mid 80’s.  The machine I was running had three bias ply tires and one radial.  That tire would turn blue.  

I becan to notice that the tires would turn blue when the weather was going to change to wet weather.   Tires would turn blue approx 24-48 hours before it would rain.   I mentioned this to the men I worked with and they laughed.  Said it was due to running the machine in mud.   We watered the road to keep dust down.   But I watched.   It did not matter if the machine was on wet or dry conditions.  The tires could be black when running on watered roads and the would turn blue when the wether was about to change.    The tires would remain bluish until the wether was going to settle.    Sometimes I noticed the tire would go black before the rain stopped.   

So so I have watched this as I have worked road construction and open pit mining.  It seems to hold true.   I have seen hi-way tractors that never see mud with blueish tires.   

I tried using many cleaners to get to get rid of the blue, but nothing seemed to work except changes in weather.   

So so I definitely think it has something to do with the weather.

it would be interesting to see what people who do car shows have noticed while cleaning and polishing their cars

kelly

Alberta 

Canada

Archived