One Gear "racing"

faffi

I know the school have sessions where the students will leave their bikes in one gear. But considering the massive power and flexibility available from today's litre bikes - and even 600s - do you ever time students circulating in let's say 6th gear for litre bikes and 4th for 600s compared to using all the gears as they like? I would assume that freeing up the mind from worrying about throttle control could easily make mere mortals faster than if they worry about the bike suddenly biting them, but perhaps the extra acceleration offered by using lower gears more than make up for it?

Students get timed (if they choose) in all their sessions, so its easy to see the comparison.

Typically less shifting and less braking, leads to lower lap times, even on the 600's.

CF

Thank you :) I have tried to argue this for decades, urging people to try out single gear laps just to see what happens. Nobody seems to want to try it, claiming that it's pointless and they'll be much quicker using the tranny. I have always thought it was just an ego ting; people probably do not want to admit even to themselves that they're not capable of fully handling their machines?

BTW, I first read about the Superbike School in an article back in a Cycle issue around 1977, I believe, where a journalist joined Keit's class - running KZ650s back then - and writing about the experience. Perhaps I should dig it out again just for the memories B)

Eirik,

Have a look see what you get. Keith didn't officially start the school till a few years later in 1980, and with the KZ-550's.

But he did some training starting in '76, though I didn't know about the article, so I'll be interested if you find something, do let us know.

CF

Strangely, this topic gives me hope. If, one day, I want to try racing, I might do okay. Why? If the other guys are mucking around using all their gears and scaring themselves silly on the brakes; and I just relax, use just 2 gears (maybe up shift once on the longest straight) and add just a touch of brakes when I really need them, maybe I could at least not embarrass myself too too much. Is that a bad plan?

Archived