Level Iv On A New Bike

G'Day All,

Klavdy here,

I just got my self a new bike!

Stoked!

Well, its a new 2nd hand bike but its a beauty anyway, a 2003 Aprillia Tuono.

Its over in the U.S and I'm going over in May and June to ride it up to NorCal from L.A then across to Colorado then back to L.A.

Its a bugger though, coz the Schools dates don't let me do a class before the long ride, but the plan is to do the School after the long ride, then a few shorter rides after it.

I've been to Willow Springs and plan on going back there in June, do another Level IV, and its hard to decide which bike to do the School on, you know, which one I'd get the most benefit from using.

The Aprillia will be kept in the States and used a couple times a year.

In Australia I've got a couple of bikes, a 1050 Tiger(Penske and fork work done) and an older Yamaha FJ1200 that's got really good suspension mods too..

So, Oh Great Ones, whaddya reckon?

Here's the Aussie FJ

IMGP2166.jpg?t=1296025035

If you haven't riden the BMW then you should. What an amazing machine! I took lvl 1 and 2 at Streets on it.

Oh, no, I've ridden the S1000RR plenty of times, did all IV levels at Willow Springs on it.

Great bike.

IMG_1930.JPG

This is the Tuono I just bought, haven't ridden it yet,,,

My%20Tuono.jpg

That sure is a pertty Aprilia. I'd ride that one for sure :)

Thanks mate!

I reckon it's pretty good too,there will be a couple things done to it, can't leave well enough alone now, eh?

Penske/Ohlins/W.P/Elka rear shock, mebbe a steering damper, and some other things.

Hmmm, anyone heard of MUPO shocks?

Might start a new thread on 'em.

Klavdy, if I may ask a quick question:

On that picture with your FJ, the sign posts a crash zone over the next 5 km. Is that due to bad road conditions? The twisttiest of all twistties? Too many fauna of all kinds, including reckless/inexperienced riders, as well as aussie possums? Shotgun wielding neighbours tired of unmuffled machines?

I'm biased and lazy, I think the BMW's on the track are a hoot. But, you've been on them, so you'd know that!

CF

I am too mate, what I'm after is which bike to train on, in your professional opinion, would provide more benefits re increasing skill levels for my street riding?

Klavdy, if I may ask a quick question:

On that picture with your FJ, the sign posts a crash zone over the next 5 km. Is that due to bad road conditions? The twisttiest of all twistties? Too many fauna of all kinds, including reckless/inexperienced riders, as well as aussie possums? Shotgun wielding neighbours tired of unmuffled machines?

Sorry Orc,

I forgot to reply to your question, mate.

The sign?

Meh.

There's a really popular road out the back of Queensland's (Australia) Gold Coast called the Hinze Raceway.

Actually, its called the Advancetown-Numinbah road, but there was a very powerful politician here called Russ Hinze, he had some property out that way and it just so happened that the road was a goat track like most of the others here.

Lo and Behold, somehow funds were allocated to fix this road, I suppose its a bit like our local version of Skaggs Springs, you know, goaty bits on either end, real good fast bit in the middle.

So it's known colloquially as "The Hinze Raceway"

It's a pretty good road, fun to ride through the week when its , ah, not so scrutinised.

Any way, before digressing too far, 'coz it's so popular, there has been quite a few prangs and a couple of fatalities, the local news rag (which has an outrageously anti bike agenda) decried the social menace that is motorcycling and demanded "Something be Done!"

No money for increased Police Patrols, $peed Safety Cameras were going to get shot up and burnt out so a couple of nifty signs placated the braying masses.

Hmmm, I've been thinking, not one of my strong points but nevertheless, wonder if the School would go for this?

I'm shouting the bloke who lets me keep my bike at his place in the U.S a school day, wonder if we could use both bikes, or do you have to use the same bike for all your sessions?

You know, swap between them?

See, I'd be in L IV, he'd be in L II so we wouldn't be on the track at the same time anyway.

Hmmm.

Have I explained that enough?

EDIT: No, don't think I did.

If I book a L IV and pay for a School bike, and get a L II for my mate and use he uses MY bike instead of the School bike, can I swap between the BMW and the Tuono (my bike) for certain of my sessions?

I'd not expect my mate to be able to ride the BMW,course not, as only the one rider had paid for the BMW.

Can that be done?

the local news rag (which has an outrageously anti bike agenda) decried the social menace that is motorcycling and demanded "Something be Done!"

Dude, I know the feeling! the entire province of Quebec has the same agenda. According to the local politicians, motorcyclists are a social menace to the rest of the population, therefore to eliminate them, prices need to be increased to the nth level. Not motorcycle prices, which are controlled by manufacturers and retailers, but insurance and plates have gone through the roof, especially if you own a sportbike. Or a Harley -since they are stolen right from under your eyes more often than not.

Who decides what is a sportbike? Not quite sure. F'rinstance, last year's version of the VFR 1200 is not a sportbike. This year, it is. Why? Cuz a reviewer put it in the sportbike department in his 2012 edition of New Motorcycles. But the K1300S is not a sportbike...

So the young'un who just bought a CB1000R will pay three to four times in plates and insurance what he would have paid two years ago for the equivalent machine. And prices will go up for the next foreseeable future yet.

But I'm veering away from the subject at hand, my apologies.

Rant over and out, rage stewing at low temperature.

Hi Klavdy,

There would be some details to work out on this, as sometimes level 2 and 4 do ride together, but with advance warning we could work it out.

Just make sure when you register that you clear on what you want to do.

Best,

Cobie

Archived