Profile Dilemma

Hi Everyone

So my dilemma is this I ride a zx6r (J2) '01 (in UK) which has a recommended 120/65 front tyre profile. From looking around it seems this profile is obsolete however the Dunlop website recommends I fit a 120/60. This is fine as I'll be fitting Sportsmarts and they are available in both 120/60 and 120/70. So I thought I had it sussed but out of interest I looked at the spec for a newer zx6r which recommends a 120/70.

I'm assuming I should take the website as gospel and fit the 120/60 unless anyone says otherwise?

Secondly why the change in profile recommendation from old to newer models?

And lastly what's the difference between the profiles? I realise one sidewall is thicker but they are the same diameter. Is it simply a difference in shape i.e rounder or pointier? And if so which is which?

Hopefully the above makes sense. No doubt the answers are straight forward.

Regards

Ollie

Hi Everyone

So my dilemma is this I ride a zx6r (J2) '01 (in UK) which has a recommended 120/65 front tyre profile. From looking around it seems this profile is obsolete however the Dunlop website recommends I fit a 120/60. This is fine as I'll be fitting Sportsmarts and they are available in both 120/60 and 120/70. So I thought I had it sussed but out of interest I looked at the spec for a newer zx6r which recommends a 120/70.

I'm assuming I should take the website as gospel and fit the 120/60 unless anyone says otherwise?

Secondly why the change in profile recommendation from old to newer models?

And lastly what's the difference between the profiles? I realise one sidewall is thicker but they are the same diameter. Is it simply a difference in shape i.e rounder or pointier? And if so which is which?

Hopefully the above makes sense. No doubt the answers are straight forward.

Regards

Ollie

Ollie,

The manufacture of the bike mandates the tire size when they make the bike. They tell the tire manufacture what size to make. There are restraints placed on the tire manufacture in this proccess.

After that, the tire manufacture is free to make any tire they wish that will work as good or bad as they want. Certainly they make a better tire to sell aftermarket.

If you stick to the book you could get the same tire and size as the OEM. But considering that every 600-1000cc sport bike from 1988 till today has a 3.5x17 front rim, it would be best to fit the most current recommended tire for that RIM. In this case the 120/70x17 would perform the best.

with the 120/70 you will have a wider choice in options, so your choice can emphasize; sport touring, performance street, racing, or others, when you make your choice of tires. if you stay with the 120/65 you will have a very limited choice.

Don't be scared to run a 120/70 on that rim, it will work better.

Hi Steve

Thank you for the speedy reply. I'm very grateful as the website had me convinced the 120/60 was the best option. I'm pretty set on the Sportsmarts as they match my requirements and I was really impressed with them when riding the schools R6s. Thanks again.

Ollie

Another educational post Steve. I really do like when you put data like 3.5 rim size since 1988, puts it in nice perspective.

CF

Archived