Why Am I Not Fast As Before?

nobody

i was able to get into the low 1:23s in the track that i go to now i can not get better that the mid 1:25s.

i did laps in the 1:23 with bad suspension but had a big accident that is still giving me pain after 2 months.

i am trying hard and pushing and train braking in some places that i did not believe that i can do it in. but still not fast enough.

i have taken lesson 1

this is very frustrating and exhausting.

Is there is a place on the track that reminds you of your accident? I know after my car accident, every time a car came toward me, I just about freaked. Learning to relax again can be a long process. My other suggestion is to go back to basics. Find the corner leading into the longest straight and make sure you are on the gas through the corner and out the exit. Relax. This is supposed to be fun. Good luck.

I would like to understand what your plan to get back to those times is? It reads from your post that you're just going out and trying as hard as you can without a plan of action. Where are you fast, where are you slow? How are you breaking down your riding into good and bad points?

Just going out and trying to go fast and faster without being systematic about it, will result in exactly what you described, bieng very tired, very frustrated, and guess what comes next? Lots more crashes. Sound like a good plan?

Bullet

my plan is easy, look for the fastest line, trail braking as far as possible and late braking. i am even turning the bike when i am entering the turn sideways and the rear is still not stable.

the fast times that i made, i did them with bad suspension ( the rear did not have oil in it, i found that out when the bike was sliding every where and the tearing was of the right and left side of the tire ). i have now refreshed the front and rear suspension and still i can not do it.

and yes there is a turn that i fell in that still has my marking on it.

i am using a GPS data logger to determine the fast line and the speed of the entrance and exit.

What was the big thing that you learned at the school with respect to how many things we work on at any given time? How many things are you attempting to do all at the same time? Have you identified which corners or which part of your tech skills are weakest? Your comments suggest perhaps you need to rework you plan?

Bullet

Cut back the gradient here nobody, your trying to many things all at once. So, back to the question, how many drills did we practice at once? How many things are you trying to do? When your trying to ride at 100% (which you clearly are here), how much attention can give to fixing your problems? What might we do here then that might give us more attention to realise what our problems are?

Bullet

until you strip back the number of things that you are doing, go with less speed, and have an understanding of which part of the corner you are having the problem, you will not resolve this. You must keep stripping back how complicated/difficult you are making this to make it easier and easer (simpler), until you can get to the thing that's holding you back. Only you know, or will know unless someone else is riding with you, but you must cut both the speed (go slower, much), cut back on what you are practisiing and idenitfy your biggest barrier.

In this post, you've already list many things that you're trying and throwing at your riding and all to no avail (i.e. you're going slower). what does this tell you about your approach? It's not working for you. So, we must change our approach would we agree? Start by doing a trackday when racing and going fast is not your goal, and start slowly, start on a specific drill and just work on gettng that right. By being systematic, you will soon identify what your problem is, and you can then start to create a plan for that probelm and that problem alone.

If you cannot do this, you will continue to be frusrated and this will probably result in many more crashes.

Bullet

thanks, will do and report soon.

Please do.

BTW, big improvements in lap times will not be made on the brakes. Lots of data on this in Keith's books/video. The difference between hard braking and medium braking is very slitht in terms of times. The difference in late throttle control is way more.

CF

In several of the automotive racing books I've read, they suggest the fist goal is to get on the racing line. Outside, inside, outside.

Get your speed set soon enough (by going slower, braking less, or getting OFF the brakes earlier) so you have the free attention you need to hit your entrance, apex and exit points. These car guys recommend getting on the racing line first, then working on smoothly applying the throttle.

Oops! That's two things. Or is all of that really about throttle control--going in and again coming out?

Archived