Heading To Laguna Seca For April Session

Jake here, I'll be heading to the 2-day camp at Laguna Seca in April and am really fired up to have a good time. My father will be in the session as well, maybe he’ll find his way to this forum sometime soon.

I have driven my share of vehicles, including Abrams tanks and the silly M113, and recently DNF'd 81 miles into the Parker 250 on a Raptor 660, but my asphalt-moto experience is roughly a year. That bike is an SV650, with upgraded brakes and soon some Pilot Power 2CTs. I've tried to make it an enriching year, seeking out the curviest bits of road in my area to get used to employing Keith's mantras from ToTW2, but am looking forward to real track time. This will be my first outing on any track, unless bicycling part of the F1 street circuit in Valencia somehow counts for something.

I have memorized Laguna Seca via the Forza games, but I take that "knowledge" of the course with a fistful of salt. The game has done its job in concerning me about the "corkscrew" though..

Does anyone have comments on how drastic that dive feels and the best way to enter the area?

I look forward to returning to spectate at the MotoGP race this summer, having a better appreciation of the track.

I have memorized Laguna Seca via the Forza games, but I take that "knowledge" of the course with a fistful of salt. The game has done its job in concerning me about the "corkscrew" though..

Does anyone have comments on how drastic that dive feels and the best way to enter the area?

Jake;

Don't worry about this - seriously.

Your Coach will show you the best way for you to approach 8A & 8B as well as every other corner at that track; more importantly, the graduated approach the School employs will allow you to do so comfortably. As for "how drastic that dive feels..." well that's part of the excitement isn't it? My bet is that you will be too busy to worry about how it feels - YRMV.

One thing that you must do however is to report back to all of us on how you did once its over. The Two Day camp at Laguna is an awesome way to start your track riding career and you are going to be with the best trainers to guide you throught it.

Rainman

Welcome to the forum Jake! I hear that Abram's corners like a full dress Harley…:D

All kidding aside I have to agree with Rainman (except maybe on racing in the rain - I'm not sure he is completely sane there :P) . Don't worry about the Corkscrew. My level one class was my first track experience and I was seriously worked up about it. I had zero experience and the CSS team made everything easy. They are organized, efficient, and flat know what they are doing. You will have a blast and you will be amazed at the impact it has on your riding.

And watching a race after you have ridden the track is awesome. Last year I did level two at VIR right after the AMA races were there so I DVR'd them and watched them with friends when I got back. It definitely gives you unique perspective and makes watching the race that much more fun.

And please do write us back on your experience at the two-day at Laguna Seca. I'm doing the two-day at VIR in May and I'll do the same.

Best,

Carey

Jake;

Don't worry about this - seriously.

Your Coach will show you the best way for you to approach 8A & 8B as well as every other corner at that track; more importantly, the graduated approach the School employs will allow you to do so comfortably. As for "how drastic that dive feels..." well that's part of the excitement isn't it? My bet is that you will be too busy to worry about how it feels - YRMV.

One thing that you must do however is to report back to all of us on how you did once its over. The Two Day camp at Laguna is an awesome way to start your track riding career and you are going to be with the best trainers to guide you throught it.

Rainman

Yeah, I trust the coaches will square me away, I was hoping somone might be able to offer a description beforehand of the proper line through that section. It's fine if people don't feel comfortable describing that accurately, I wanted to compare the description to Forza's "Racing Line" overlay to see if there were any strange divergences. Thanks for responding, I can't wait to find out in person!

Welcome to the forum Jake! I hear that Abram's corners like a full dress Harley…:D

All kidding aside I have to agree with Rainman (except maybe on racing in the rain - I'm not sure he is completely sane there :P) . Don't worry about the Corkscrew. My level one class was my first track experience and I was seriously worked up about it. I had zero experience and the CSS team made everything easy. They are organized, efficient, and flat know what they are doing. You will have a blast and you will be amazed at the impact it has on your riding.

And watching a race after you have ridden the track is awesome. Last year I did level two at VIR right after the AMA races were there so I DVR'd them and watched them with friends when I got back. It definitely gives you unique perspective and makes watching the race that much more fun.

And please do write us back on your experience at the two-day at Laguna Seca. I'm doing the two-day at VIR in May and I'll do the same.

Best,

Carey

Hi Carey,

Actually, the phrase "handles like a tank" is a pretty good compliment. You can turn very hard (just hope you don't "throw track"), or spin in place 360 degrees. I even jumped it a couple times. The brakes are excellent too, consider how much of a contact patch these have. The only real weakness is acceleration- 63 tons is a lot of inertia even with 1500HP behind you.

Thanks for the reassurance. What would you want to know about Laguna Seca in particular? I'm guessing my personal improvements during the camp would be too basic and boring everybody?

Jake

Welcome. Wow, Laguna. Have fun with that. We'll be there for Moto GP. And enjoy the school.

Thanks for the welcome, it's good to see another Arizona guy here, I graduated from ASU back in 2001. Oh damn, that's becoming a while ago..

Welcome. Wow, Laguna. Have fun with that. We'll be there for Moto GP. And enjoy the school.

Thanks for the welcome, it's good to see another Arizona guy here, I graduated from ASU back in 2001. Oh damn, that's becoming a while ago..

Not from here and don't plan on staying. The only thing keeping me sane is the number of tracks around here.

Hi Carey,

Actually, the phrase "handles like a tank" is a pretty good compliment. You can turn very hard (just hope you don't "throw track"), or spin in place 360 degrees. I even jumped it a couple times. The brakes are excellent too, consider how much of a contact patch these have. The only real weakness is acceleration- 63 tons is a lot of inertia even with 1500HP behind you.

Thanks for the reassurance. What would you want to know about Laguna Seca in particular? I'm guessing my personal improvements during the camp would be too basic and boring everybody?

Jake

Tanks are just cool, sadly as close as I'll come to one is the Discovery Channel :(. And BTW...thanks for your service!

As for posting on your experience, share all of it, or as much as you want anyway. Personal improvements, impressions of the track, first trip over the Corkscrew, staff hygiene (ok so maybe not that - Pete might not have his wipes handy :o). Anything you post can be useful to someone thinking about taking the plunge and the rest of us just dig reading about it. Like mom said, it's always more fun when you share.

Best,

Carey

See you there Jake, me and my mate Simon are heading over from Scotland for the same 2 day camp.

neil

Neil and Simon, that's the way to do it! What better way to travel than to have an event like this at its core? I was actually originally planning to do a trip to the Nurburgring (not on moto, I'd definitely bite the dust), but the pathetic US dollar made me look for something closer- Laguna Seca is it.

I just opened up a thread that hopefully will attract our classmates, let's get a discussion going over there. Seems it could only add to the camp to "know" some folks when we all arrive.

Laguna Seca camp thread here

Archived