School Qualification Question

Let me start out by saying I turn 21 in May and grew up with a family that discouraged motorcycle riding, so the first time I got on a bike was when I saved money and purchased a 04 cbr600 when I was 17. I had no prior experience before that, but I must say I picked it up naturally. I live in TN (for now) and ever since day one of riding I have been to Deals Gap (the dragon) almost every weekend when the weather was right. Ive been on many bikes now including gsxr600/1000s, R1s, ZX6r, and Ive personally owned my original cbr600rr, a 05 cbr1000rr, a 03 r6, and a 06 zx6r just to give you an idea of my experience.

I have touched my hand to the ground on some turns so I'm sure Im capable of knee draggin even though Ive never done it. And also at deals gap I hold my own with most of the other riders.

In March 2010 I had my first wreck in which I overshot a turn dropping my front wheels off the road and tumbling down the mountain side. Believe it or not I had the bike towed out of the ditch and rode it home with nothing more then road rash and brusies. In this wreck all I was wearing was jeans, tennis shoes, a Tshirt, alpinestar gloves, and a helmet. Ever since my wreck I noticed my lean not the same and my mph dropped tremendously on my next visits to the gap.

In May 2010 my luck got worse. Driving to work A minivan pulled out in front of me giving me no time to react causeing my to hit his passenger door breaking my wrist, 2 ribs, multiple fingers, and multiple gashes and road mash on my legs and back.

Not asking for sympathy at all I made a full recovery and already (March 2011) have been on a bike multiple times and also back at the gap. I pretty much ride the same, but like I said, I got slower in turns and more skeptical about riding. Its basically all mental.

To my quesiton... Ive been interested in your school for sometime now and wanted to know if you could work me through my disadvantage and still make me see great results. My expectations are extremely high. I'm not only wanting to get to the level I was at (far from expert by all means) but I'm wanting to be one to stand out. Racings in my blood at local tracks but I got big dreams to be the one in the family to reach out and make somethin outta racing other then weekend trips to the local track. I just wanted to talk first before signing up and just showing up at the school

In March 2010 I had my first wreck in which I overshot a turn ...In May 2010 ...A minivan pulled out in front of me ...breaking my wrist, 2 ribs, multiple fingers, and multiple gashes and road mash on my legs and back.

To my quesiton... Ive been interested in your school for sometime now and wanted to know if you could work me through my disadvantage and still make me see great results...I just wanted to talk first before signing up and just showing up at the school

Sam;

Don't wait any longer to enroll. There are a lot of people here who will attest to the School's success rate with motivated riders who are eager to learn and yearn to improve [I think I just described the entire Forum membership].

Rainman

The real results are after the school. Most don't always leave having dropped huge chunks of time off their laps. They're going to show you how to ride using the proper technique, then take you out on the track and make sure you "get it." For things to improve you need to incorporate this into your riding. They WILL make you better. Although I'm still not one of the faster guys, I was at a point of comfort at the track where I did improve greatly during the trackday (thank you 2 step).

You'll be a better rider, no doubt, and with The Dragon's Tail in your vicinity, you'll be able to practice and reinforce what you've learned.

Sam, I was sorry to read about your accidents. It is perfectly natural to slow down a bit after getting smacked around twice. After I had my car accident, just seeing a car coming toward me in the opposite lane made me jump. This is a hard wired protective response. A year after my bike crash, I had my last flashback. People don't talk about this stuff much, but all that is perfectly normal.

You know, there is nothing wrong with getting the need for speed out of your system doing CSS classes, track days and races. You can't REALLY go 175 mph very often on the street, but you can do it all you want on a race track. No tickets. No dogs. No distracted soccer moms in mini-vans. No skunks, logs or turtles. They even have corner workers who will wave a flag if there is danger ahead. Not that you can't still get a tire off the road and fall down, but the environment is SO much safer for riding fast.

If you get hooked on track riding, you may find that it's okay to use the public roads for sight seeing, enjoying the lean and riding with your friends.

appreciate it guys. with all that being said Ill for sure sign up when I get my money right again.

So would it be recommended I do levels step by step or go for a 2 day course? To my understanding a 2day course is everything from level 1-4 bunched up in 2 days. I could be wrong though, I only know what ive read from the website. I got Codes DVDs and Books all in the mail heading my way anyday now so Ill get as much knowledge as I can before I do anything

One day is one level, regardless of whether you do 2-day camps or two single days. The difference is in the coach-student ratio and number of sessions.

Regards, Kai

One day is one level, regardless of whether you do 2-day camps or two single days. The difference is in the coach-student ratio and number of sessions.

Regards, Kai

So doing two 2day camps would cover 4 levels? Whats the coach student ratio for each if you dont mind me to keep asking amateur questions

Regards, Kai

So doing two 2day camps would cover 4 levels? Whats the coach student ratio for each if you dont mind me to keep asking amateur questions

No, you do one level per day, so if you did a 2-day camp, you'd do Level 1 the first day and Level 2 the second day. In a 2 day camp the student-coach ratio is two to one, you get PLENTY of coach time. You also get more track time than on a regular day. I think 2-day camps are great, personally. The only reasons I can think of that a regular school might be preferred are (a) lower cost or (B) you really want to ride your own bike.

Sam,

As posted by Hotfoot the ratio at the 2-day camp is 1:2 (coach to students). At the 1-day sessions it is 1:3. In addition, at the2-day camp you get more track sessions (7 compared to 5) and more time on the specialty bikes. And again, both formats are one level per day, so if you do a 2-day camp you would cover level's 1 & 2 in your first one and 3 & 4 in a subsequent 2-day camp (or in a couple of 1-day sessions if you preferred).

Last year I did levels 1 & 2 in two 1-day sessions and did detailed write ups for another forum I frequent. Here are the links in case you are looking for an idea of what the days are like:

http://www.k-bikes.c...uperbike+school

http://www.k-bikes.c...uperbike+school

If you are serious about improving your riding, you will find that the expense is well worth it. I believe it's the best money I've spent on motorcycling.

Best of luck and be safe.

Carey

• 1 month later...

Sam,

I am on the other end of the spectrum as far as racing goes. I am not interested in racing but I understand what you are going through with the crash. I think that most people that have crashed go through some sort of mental blocks that they have to work through. I had a rear tire blow out on me and caused me to do the dirt-sky-dirt-sky visions over and over until I finially stopped out in the middle of a field. I did not get hurt that bad because I was wearing all my syntheitc gear but broke my leg and destroyed my ZX9R. I am taking the 2 day camp in June at Barber and I am hoping that it will do a lot for me in getting over the last little mental problems I am haveing. Everyone here on the fourms has been very helpful and I am glad to be apart of this community. Not sure if this helps or not but thought that hearing from another person going through the same type of mental problem might help a little.....Like they said sign up as soon as you can, I did and I think it will really help me and prob be the most fun I have had on a bike.

Bart

Archived