Vir August 16 & 17

Hi everybody,

I finally got my life in order and was able to attend Levels I and II @ VIR in August. First rate experience all the way around and I can't stop saying great things. Keith Code has been a bit of a hero of mine for quite a while and I really DO attribute my ability to be here and type this post to reading his books, following his advice, and thus staying alive.

My girlfriend and I both were in class and learned a LOT. Funny, since I've been riding at the track for YEARS and kinda arrogantly thought that Level I and II wouldn't offer me very much. I think 10 minutes into the first lecture (offered by Dylan) I had an "O-M-G" moment and my eyes got wide and my ego got checked. It was a good thing, people who "know it all" don't grow.

So, if you were there "HI" and if you were there and at work "THANKS" - I'm setting up a trackday weekend in October and I am going to practice drills from Level I and II. Mainly I realized I have been rolling on at exactly the WRONG time. Relearning how to corner, when to roll on and redefining "steady and consistent" is going to be a challenge, but I am conviced that when I can get the entry speed where I want it I can go a LOT faster than I was with my "slow down TOO much, tip the bike in, hit the throttle hard, fight it as it tries to go wide, hold on for dear life" approach. :lol:

Hello Poppa,

It sounds like you had a great time and learned a lot. What did your girlfriend think of the classes? And how hard was it to do back-to-back days?

Thanks.

Hi Poppa,

I was there on the 16th and had a great time as well. We were in different groups but I believe we spoke under the awning once or twice. The guys and gals did a great job once again and putting Cobie in charge of the weather turned out to be the right move, you couldn't have asked for a better day in Virginia in August. Last August it was hot enough to make the devil sigh!

Like Crash I'm also curious what your GF thought. Is she an experienced track rider as well?

If you decide to do your levels 3 & 4 next May, let me know and maybe we can catch up.

Ride safe,

Carey

Carrie (my girlfriend) enjoyed both days but found two back to back to be more than she'd do again. She's only done a couple track days before this, which basically means my bad advice hadn't really sunk in yet. She learned a lot, had a great time and is doing one track day with me in October. I think from here on she's going to be good for one day, but not two, at the track. Maybe in a year or so if she gets her endurance up she can enjoy two days. I find most of the time it takes me a day to relax enough to enjoy being on the track. By the second day my body is too tired to do all the dumb stuff that had been keeping me slow on day one.

The plan so far is to hit JenningsGP in October, maybe again in January / February and then find out if Levels III and IV will be at Barber in the spring.

...By the second day my body is too tired to do all the dumb stuff that had been keeping me slow on day one..

Priceless :D .

I know what you mean but I did the two day camp last May and my knees were seriously angry with me after 14 track sessions. I'd say we werent on speaking terms afterward but actually they screamed at me for days afterward and ignored what I asked them to do for about a week. :P

But I would still do it again, you are right about the second day being better. I couldn't get away from the office for a second day this time and I was really dissappointed; by the last session I was really stringing it together and could have used a few more sessions to make it stick (sore knees be damned).

Glad to hear Carrie had a good time. It's great seeing couples do this together. Good luck getting to Barber, that's one track I really want to ride. Maybe I'll try to get to CSS there next year, lord know's I need the coaching!

Ride safe,

Carey

BTW...I'm originally from your neck of the woods, born in Tampa and grew up in Citrus County...say hi to the manatees for me.

Archived