Tyres

Hi ,

I have just attended Level 1 at Silverstone in the UK on 12th Sep riding an R6 hire bike. It was a fantastic day and as well as learning a great deal I had a LOT of fun.

In fact so much fun that I forgot to ask about the tyres on the bike ( or even look at them ) I'm wondering if they were tyres specifically for the track or the kind of tyres found on a road going sportsbike?

What a great experience , everyone should do it. I'm already planning level 2 .

Thanks

Hi ,

I have just attended Level 1 at Silverstone in the UK on 12th Sep riding an R6 hire bike. It was a fantastic day and as well as learning a great deal I had a LOT of fun.

In fact so much fun that I forgot to ask about the tyres on the bike ( or even look at them ) I'm wondering if they were tyres specifically for the track or the kind of tyres found on a road going sportsbike?

What a great experience , everyone should do it. I'm already planning level 2 .

Thanks

HI WLondoncb1000,

Glad to hear you had fun, Even though the weather was a little on the windy side.

I am fairly sure that the school hire bikes run on Dunlop Sportsmarts, a dual purpose road and track tyre. if you look on the dunlop web site there is loads of info.

I had a set fitted to my bike the last time i attended the school and have no complaints at all. They are very good in the wet and dry. Also I have done a TD at Mallory on them and they looked pretty well brand new

afterwards. Just had to drop the pressures when I arrived and re-inflate before riding home.

I will be testing them over a longer distance at the end of the month, Magny Cours about 2k. Will let you know what they look/feel like afterwards.

Also you can look on the Forums Tyre section there is plenty of info regarding tyre selection/pressures and the like.

Andy

I concur with the above - I fitted Sportsmarts to my R1 2003 roadbike this year and have been very satisfied with them. When I did Level 3 + 4 in the beginning of May in Sweden, I actually had knee-downs on the first lap on several of the on-track sessions without any problems. I haven't tried them in the rain though.

Regards,

Kai

Archived