New To Forum, No Css Experience...yet

I have yet to take a course from css. I've done just one trackday (Nelson Ledges in Ohio). I can't wait to do more. I ride a '05 CBR600RR, '09 Buell 1125CR, and a '89 Yamaha FZR400. I only get to put around 4000 mi/year on them but it's like heaven each time. I wish I lived closer to a participating track so travel would be logistically easier. I'm thinking Vegas is a great location because of availability of flights is greater. Everyone like Vegas?

Welcome to the forum zoo! I've always wanted to ride one of those Buells (I have a BMW K1200R myself so I'm partial to the streetfighter :) ). Did you track it when you went to Nelson or did you stick with the CBR600?

I can't speak to Vegas personally but a lot of the guys like it. No matter where you go you will be amazed at the training. Keith, Cobie, and crew do an outstanding job. It is seriously the best money I have spent motorcycling (and if they can teach me....:P ). Have you read the Twist books or seen the DVD? If not do yourself a favor and order them. I would start with the DVD and then read Twist 2 (I think the DVD helps add context for the reading but others might disagree - either way put them on your list).

What kind of goals do you have for your riding? Are you looking to be come a track junkie or just polish up those riding skills for the street? Either way there is a ton ofgood information and some good folks on this forum. It's not as active as some but quantity doesn't necessarily equil quality. Jump in and add your thoughts, we're a friendly bunch.

Ride safe,

Carey

I have yet to take a course from css. I've done just one trackday (Nelson Ledges in Ohio). I can't wait to do more. I ride a '05 CBR600RR, '09 Buell 1125CR, and a '89 Yamaha FZR400. I only get to put around 4000 mi/year on them but it's like heaven each time. I wish I lived closer to a participating track so travel would be logistically easier. I'm thinking Vegas is a great location because of availability of flights is greater. Everyone like Vegas?

Zoolander;

Welcome to the Forum! I have never attended a School at Las Vegas but did go to one when they used to travel to Mid-Ohio. That is a really, I mean really fun track to ride.

I rode Nelson Ledges only once back in 2006 (I think) with Team Pro-Motion and was wondering if they ever repaved it or otherwise upgraded the place. The track had quite a flow to it as I remember but the pavement was rough in the second half of the layout and the tire barriers were pretty beat and dishelved. The facilities were not much better than the tire barriers but I have heard conflicting stories about Nelson Ledges since then so I was curious if you knew. Also I don't know of any Track Clubs that go there except Fasttrax but was also wondering if there are others. It and that seems to be their home track if what I have read is accurate.

Mika

Welcome to the forum zoo! I've always wanted to ride one of those Buells (I have a BMW K1200R myself so I'm partial to the streetfighter :) ). Did you track it when you went to Nelson or did you stick with the CBR600?

I can't speak to Vegas personally but a lot of the guys like it. No matter where you go you will be amazed at the training. Keith, Cobie, and crew do an outstanding job. It is seriously the best money I have spent motorcycling (and if they can teach me....:P ). Have you read the Twist books or seen the DVD? If not do yourself a favor and order them. I would start with the DVD and then read Twist 2 (I think the DVD helps add context for the reading but others might disagree - either way put them on your list).

What kind of goals do you have for your riding? Are you looking to be come a track junkie or just polish up those riding skills for the street? Either way there is a ton of good information and some good folks on this forum. It's not as active as some but quantity doesn't necessarily equil quality. Jump in and add your thoughts, we're a friendly bunch.

Ride safe,

Carey

I'm not sure if I had a specific goal in mind when I started with this idea. I just want to get better on the street for sure but after my one trackday experience, I can see myself living to do those. It was definitely nice not worrying about getting hit by a car. I took the CBR600RR and I'm glad I did because Nelson Ledges is a pretty small track. The Buell's handling in tight corners is a lot nicer than most would think but the CBR still handles twistys better IMO.

I haven't yet read much of Code's book other than for a few minutes in the bookstore. I've read "Total Control" by Parks, which was a nice start for me.

Mika, I'm not sure if they've ever done anything to Nelson Ledges since '06. It was pretty bumpy all over the place. Lots of patches. It's still all right handers except for two corners. The facilities haven't been upgraded, I hope. I'd hate to have seen the previous set-up if they did! Still, it was a great time. Fasttrax is still the group that runs things.

Thank God for YouTube and Hero cameras, I've been watching laps on the Vegas circuit among others. It's a nice pick-me up in the middle of the day!

Hey Zoolander,

Welcome to the forum! Great movie by the way. biggrin.giftongue.gif

If you're wanting to increase your confidence and safety on the track, and even in street riding then you can't go wrong by getting yourself to CSS. I've only recently made more of an effort to get some training/tuition (not with CSS yet, but that is next up...) and I wish I went and did that very early on as soon as I started doing track days. There's alot you can pick up from the Twist books and DVD (I found the DVD to be great, it just gets the idea across so clearly.) But getting to CSS is something else, being able to have a coach show you things and you can immediately try out different techniques, being able to ask questions of a coach is great as well. The very first tuition I did showed proper body position and I was able to ask another question about body position, a lot just made sense then and I was kicking myself that I had waiting 3-4 years of track riding to go and do that...

Cya around!

Archived