Generators & Tire Warmers

Gentlemen,

Since I started riding 3-years ago I've attended a dozen Superbike Schools and two Code Race Schools. Just sold my Aprilia RSV4 Factory and purchased a Yoshimura Suzuki.

The bike came with tire warmers, but no generator. Being my first race bike, I've never had a bike with race tires, tire warmers etc.

Question is......I understand I need 2,000 watt generator, would prefer not to spend $1,000. Any suggestions where to look, I guess I'm back to squid status for having to ask questions.....the pit crew is now me. Any suggestions would be great.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

Ebay, Craigslist, etc. I've even seen some good deals on Amazon for refurbished stuff.

But yeah - a new Honda generator is pricey; I think the Yamahas might be slightly more reasonable.

Gentlemen,

Since I started riding 3-years ago I've attended a dozen Superbike Schools and two Code Race Schools. Just sold my Aprilia RSV4 Factory and purchased a Yoshimura Suzuki.

The bike came with tire warmers, but no generator. Being my first race bike, I've never had a bike with race tires, tire warmers etc.

Question is......I understand I need 2,000 watt generator, would prefer not to spend $1,000. Any suggestions where to look, I guess I'm back to squid status for having to ask questions.....the pit crew is now me. Any suggestions would be great.

Greg

I have two of the Honda generators, I think the model is eu2000i. They work great and they are REALLY quiet. (We got two because you can connect them together and that provided enough power to run the A/C in our trailer, but one is certainly enough to run tire warmers.) You can find them on eBay, usually, or if you shop around you can sometimes find a good price online; at the time we bought ours we ordered from out of state and thus paid no sales tax (and got free shipping) so it was a great deal, but I'm not sure if you can still do that.

Another place to look is the WERA classifieds (weraclassifieds.com)- there are a lot of racers on there, you might find a generator for sale there.

Compared to other generators I've seen at the track, the Honda is WAAAY quieter, and ours have been very reliable, easy to use, plus they are compact and portable, highly recommend this model.

The Honda generators consistently get excellent reviews and as Hotfoot said, are extremely quiet.

Craigslist is a good place to look. Right now in Seattle the are half a dozen EU2000 generators for 700-750.

And as others said, the quiet and reliable inverter style generators are pleasant to be around and make for happy neighbors. Worth the 2x price tag over the cheaper ones.

-Sean

Archived