Code R.a.c.e.

Matt,

I'm bumping your thread in hopes someone with Code RACE experience will jump in but in case they don't I would email Cobie (Chief Riding Coach). He is usually very active on the forum but since this is the season he might have missed this question. He will be able to tell you what is necessary and/or suggested.

Good luck and if you end up taking CodeRACE let us know how it goes.

Best,

Carey

I'm considering doing the R.A.C.E. school spring of 2013. Is completing CSS levels 1-3 a sufficient prerequisite or is there a minimum riding level or pace necessary?

There is not a specific minimum pace required, however it IS a race school. It is a VERY demanding day, with an enormous amount of riding and a focus on racing; for a slow-pace rider Level 4 might be a better choice.

Technically, Levels 1-3 are not an absolute requirement, but they are very strongly recommended. If you had not taken at LEAST Level 1 and 2 you would be spending most of your time trying to catch up on that material and would not get the most from your time at CodeRace.

The answer about pace is a bit vague - the pace varies from year to year, depending on who comes, and the school does not have a specific pace or laptime requirement. Mostly it will depend on your comfort level.

My personal opinion is that if you are intimidated riding in the slow group at a local trackday, Level 4 would be a much better choice than CodeRace. But, if you are very comfortable riding trackdays, and you are contemplating doing some club racing, it's perfect and a great intro to racing - WAAAAYYYYY better than taking the local club race intro school - you get to practice starts, try different lines, get experience with the flags, learn about passing, etc.

Make sure you SIGN UP REALLY EARLY, CodeRace fills up fast.

I'm considering doing the R.A.C.E. school spring of 2013. Is completing CSS levels 1-3 a sufficient prerequisite or is there a minimum riding level or pace necessary?

There is not a specific minimum pace required, however it IS a race school. It is a VERY demanding day, with an enormous amount of riding and a focus on racing; for a slow-pace rider Level 4 might be a better choice.

Technically, Levels 1-3 are not an absolute requirement, but they are very strongly recommended. If you had not taken at LEAST Level 1 and 2 you would be spending most of your time trying to catch up on that material and would not get the most from your time at CodeRace.

The answer about pace is a bit vague - the pace varies from year to year, depending on who comes, and the school does not have a specific pace or laptime requirement. Mostly it will depend on your comfort level.

My personal opinion is that if you are intimidated riding in the slow group at a local trackday, Level 4 would be a much better choice than CodeRace. But, if you are very comfortable riding trackdays, and you are contemplating doing some club racing, it's perfect and a great intro to racing - WAAAAYYYYY better than taking the local club race intro school - you get to practice starts, try different lines, get experience with the flags, learn about passing, etc.

Hotfoot,

Thank you for the advice. Recently did my first track day in Keigwin's B- group. I didn't feel intimidated, was definitely in the slower half of that group, though not the slowest. Based on that experience the race school is likely premature. This season I plan a few level 4 days plus more practice in B- or B.

Question - Where to find info on passing. Now that I'm not the slowest I need to learn to pass instead of slowing down.

Regards,

Matt

Translation of "fills up fast" = the fall school is full and there's a waiting list already. Start planning for 2013 attendance now!

Kai

Archived