Yet Another Newbie/level One Question

Greetings All,

Contemplating trying the Level One course this Summer/Fall, but wanted to make sure that CSS was the best fit for my goals.

I am 57, soon to be 58, riding for 8 years now, but mostly casual street/freeway stuff, a few twisties, but per my call name, I ride "slower than ......". I have a Ducati Sport Classic Sport 1000 monoposto, and a Ducati 750 Supersport. And I just picked up a new Honda CBR250R. Curiously, over the years, I have been going down in displacement, not up.

I really am not into racing, and do not see attending track days as a regular thing. I just want to become a better (not necessarily faster) rider, and to try a day on the track.

Is CSS too race oriented for someone like me, that is seeking smoothness more than speed?

Am I going to feel really out of place, as an old geezer amongst a bunch of young speedsters?

And I'd really like to do the class in my 250, and would that be a problem? CSS seems to encourage using their S1000RR's, and my bike would just be in the way of those bikes.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

ST;

First - Welcome; now to your questions.

Contemplating trying the Level One course this Summer/Fall, but wanted to make sure that CSS was the best fit for my goals...

I am 57, soon to be 58, riding for 8 years now, but mostly casual street/freeway stuff, a few twisties,

57 is not too old - you will be surprised to see that you may not be the oldest one at School that day.

I really am not into racing, and do not see attending track days as a regular thing. I just want to become a better (not necessarily faster) rider, and to try a day on the track.

[/Quote]

The School will get you to these goals.

Is CSS too race oriented for someone like me, that is seeking smoothness more than speed?

[/Quote]

Code R.A.C.E. is their race oriented School, the main School is all about the "Art of Cornering"

Am I going to feel really out of place, as an old geezer amongst a bunch of young speedsters?

[/Quote]

See the first answer above. If you are simply proficient at the controls, you will fit in seamlessly.

CSS seems to encourage using their S1000RR's, and my bike would just be in the way of those bikes.

[/Quote] Not really; the range of bike sizes, rider skill levels and riders ages vary remarkably and despite these differences you will get the same level of attention and focus AND regardless of what you ride.

Hope this helps.

Rainman

Rainman is quite correct, the school is not just for racers or track riders. The majority of the level 1 students will be first time on the track, many in your age range and older. Not to say you won't be on a racetrack, and some will get enthusiastic, but unless you are very, very timid, this will be an excellent place to work on your skills. If you can swing it, the 2-day camp is the best of the best, but get to whatever you can (consider doing 2 days, if even just single day schools, and attending following Level 1 with Level 2).

Best,

Cobie

...I just want to become a better (not necessarily faster) rider, and to try a day on the track....

Welcome to the forum slowerthan!

Cobie and Rainman are spot on. I originally signed up for CSS for just the reason quoted above and I have never regretted it. You will be amazed at the improvement in your riding and you will have a blast. It's the best money I've spent on motorcycling.

If you are interested, I wrote some detailed reviews of my experiences which may be useful and if you have any questions don't hesitate to post them or send me a PM!

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3 & 4 ( 2 day camp)

Best,

Carey