½ A Chick Or ½ A Bum

We discussed something similar the other day on another thread, but at the top level like this, a lot of the other rules are off when it comes to this level and it's simply a case of getting round the corner as fast as (in)humanly possible. To do this, sometimes you need to go against convention.

There is a joke here about half-a** riding, but I would never go there...

There was also a thread recently where Centurian attempted to mathematically quantify the effect of hanging off. His conclusion was that it has a realatively small impact however if you are riding toward the limit of traction every advantage should be utilized (somebody else check his math, I was lost at "ArcTangent"). Maybe the difference between 1/2 cheek and 1/2 bum is small enough as to be of little value to teach us mortals but when you are racing that small difference is important. Just a thought.

That said, I have to agree with Steve, mostly I think it's that when it comes to that level of riding not all of the same "rules" are going to apply. We also have to consider that while we are taught one thing at a CSS class, when it comes to some aspects of riding there are still disagreements out there as to what is "the right way" to get a bike around a track as fast as possible (last years thread on peg weighting comes to mind).

And here's another thread discussing Casey's body position and cornering with some good input from Cobie.

Level 3 stuff ...

I know it's ½ a chick BUT why are the MotoGP pilots using ½ a bum ?

As far as I know, CSS recommends "not hanging off TOO far" ONLY because it is a rare rider that can hang off that much without putting some pressure on the bars or losing the stability of their position. I'm pretty confident that if you could show that you could hang off more than a half-cheek and still be solidly locked on, feel comfortable, and have NO weight on the bars, your coach would be totally ok with it.

More commonly we see riders trying to hang their butt off so far that they have to hold onto the inside bar, which has a big negative impact on the bike's handling - so we ask the rider to hang off less, get the lower body very stable on the bike, and get rid of that unwanted bar pressure, which generally results in the bike handling more predictably and a much happier rider. :)

Level 3 stuff ...

As far as I know, CSS recommends "not hanging off TOO far" ONLY because it is a rare rider that can hang off that much without putting some pressure on the bars or losing the stability of their position. I'm pretty confident that if you could show that you could hang off more than a half-cheek and still be solidly locked on, feel comfortable, and have NO weight on the bars, your coach would be totally ok with it.

More commonly we see riders trying to hang their butt off so far that they have to hold onto the inside bar, which has a big negative impact on the bike's handling - so we ask the rider to hang off less, get the lower body very stable on the bike, and get rid of that unwanted bar pressure, which generally results in the bike handling more predictably and a much happier rider. :)

Now that makes sense to me :-D

Thanks

Level 3 stuff ...

yep nice and short!

As far as I know, CSS recommends "not hanging off TOO far" ONLY because...

Thanks Hotfoot!

And that is why I love our coaches.