Which Tyre?

Hi.

i have a 1000 Gixxer and reading the tire forum here i got a little confused on the sizes so your lights on the below questions are highly appreciated.

I have been riding a long long time but in my country, Cyprus, only recently we have a race track, so we are starting to use it for track days.

I have been using so far my street tires, my Dunlops Qualifier (NOT the Qualifier II or Q2) and it is time to change them as life on them has gone. I have 2 options here to go for, Dunlops Q2 (Qualifier II) or Bridgstones BT 016 Pro. I am somehow in favor of the Qualifier II ( Europe ) but the BT 016 Pro is a new tire.

The weather here is 22 Celsius almost yearly to 40 Celsius in August and the use of the tire will be 60% track and 40% road.

So my question is which of the 2 tires shall i choose, if anyone has experience in both of them and which size as the bike manufacturer recommends 190/50 17 ( which is the size i already use ) and here in the forum you all recommend 190/55 17.

Thanksicon1.gif

Hi.

i have a 1000 Gixxer and reading the tire forum here i got a little confused on the sizes so your lights on the below questions are highly appreciated.

I have been riding a long long time but in my country, Cyprus, only recently we have a race track, so we are starting to use it for track days.

I have been using so far my street tires, my Dunlops Qualifier (NOT the Qualifier II or Q2) and it is time to change them as life on them has gone. I have 2 options here to go for, Dunlops Q2 (Qualifier II) or Bridgstones BT 016 Pro. I am somehow in favor of the Qualifier II ( Europe ) but the BT 016 Pro is a new tire.

The weather here is 22 Celsius almost yearly to 40 Celsius in August and the use of the tire will be 60% track and 40% road.

So my question is which of the 2 tires shall i choose, if anyone has experience in both of them and which size as the bike manufacturer recommends 190/50 17 ( which is the size i already use ) and here in the forum you all recommend 190/55 17.

Thanksicon1.gif

The 190/55 will perform much better than the 190/50 if its a Dunlop. Its the way to go.

Paris,

You might also take a look at the SportSmarts, they are a higher performer than the Qualifier II according to Dunlop EU.

I've been very happy with the SportSmarts on my R1.

Cheers,

Kai

Paris,

You might also take a look at the SportSmarts, they are a higher performer than the Qualifier II according to Dunlop EU.

Cheers,

Kai

Hi,

i was told that this tire wont last long since i am using my gixxer to commute.

How miles do you get with those?

Cheers

Hi.

Thanksicon1.gif

The 190/55 will perform much better than the 190/50 if its a Dunlop. Its the way to go.

Point taken.

Thanks

Paris,

Cheers,

Kai

Hi,

i was told that this tire wont last long since i am using my gixxer to commute.

How miles do you get with those?

Cheers

You'll get a fair amount of wear out of the SportSmarts, 5-7,000 miles out of the rear is about average from what I've read on various forums from owners, which compared to the stickier stuff is 2-3 times longer.

I only did 3000km last season, so I don't know how long they last. 5-7000miles (8-10.000km) would be better than I'd expect. Previously, a dedicated sports tyre would be worn out by 6000km (4K miles) or so. Especially the rear.

You have to balance this vs your desire/need for grip on the trackdays. YMMV.

Kai

I only did 3000km last season, so I don't know how long they last. 5-7000miles (8-10.000km) would be better than I'd expect. Previously, a dedicated sports tyre would be worn out by 6000km (4K miles) or so. Especially the rear.

You have to balance this vs your desire/need for grip on the trackdays. YMMV.

Kai

I will go with the q2 for now unless i get a good deal with the sportsmarts.

Thanks.

What tires do CSS run on the s1000rr's?

I heard Will mention to another student last week that the school currently is using GPA's instead of Q2's because Dunlop apparently can't produce and distribute Q2's fast enough...

What tires do CSS run on the s1000rr's?

I heard Will mention to another student last week that the school currently is using GPA's instead of Q2's because Dunlop apparently can't produce and distribute Q2's fast enough...

Interesting... Perhaps we'll get some real-world comparisons of the Q2 v. GP-A, e.g. wear rate, qualitative impressions from students, etc.

Archived