Hi From Atlanta, Ga

Another Newbie - my name is Prince (yes that's my given name) and I just took the C.S.S. level 1 class at Barber on 6/1/12. All I can say is that the experience was amazing and I can't wait to take Level 2. The only complaint is that there aren't enough classes down here in the deep South (and WTF is up with Road Atlanta - they should totally get on board with this program and have a couple of sessions every year)! Although I've been riding for years, I had never been to a track nor had any formal instruction other than the Rider's Edge class (same as the MSF). I'm a pretty decent rider, but the class really opened my eyes to just how capable our bikes are and really reinforced my confidence during the on track sessions and has already improved specific aspects of my everyday riding on the street. If you have not attended the school, I absolutely agree with all of the numerous posts praising the program. I should have started these courses years ago! I think most of us agree that we should always strive to continually improve our skills and knowledge - the California Superbike School is an absolute asset in that regard. I have already recommended it to all of my riding buddies and everyone that I know that rides. The structure is excellent (class - track w/coach guidance - coach debriefing) and the order of topics introduced in class really empowers the riders to focus on skills in a very logical progression. I can't say enough good things about my experience! If any of you guys took the class with me, respond to my thread - maybe we can hook up for a ride sometime! Also, thanks to my coach Brian - you were awesome - great pointers and it was a pleasure to meet you (a couple of pics show him following me - of course I had no idea he was behind me most of the time).

As mentioned previously, the experience was awesome - I hope y'all enjoy...

post-23526-0-46695300-1339188022_thumb.jpg

post-23526-0-12920300-1339188044_thumb.jpg

post-23526-0-73891400-1339188070_thumb.jpg

post-23526-0-57257100-1339188161_thumb.jpg

post-23526-0-57229800-1339188245_thumb.jpg

post-23526-0-93408000-1339188338_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Forums Prince. Nice looking pic's there, you must be pretty quick to keep the #8 bike behind ya like that tongue.gif

Thanks T-McKeen, but I assure you it's because he was following me at that particular time! :P

As a matter of fact, after looking at the pics again I noticed that the name on the bike was Lyle... Now I'm a little confused as I have a few sequences of pics with him following me so I assumed he was my coach. If any coaches are reading the forums, please correct me if I'm wrong on the name (it's quite possible that I misunderstood during introductions as I was totally stoked and it was just a little loud with bikes starting up and engines revving). I'm almost 100% positive that there was only 1 coach at Barber on 6/1 that had a student named Prince! If I got your name wrong I totally apologize - I've been telling everyone all week long how awesome my coach and overall experience was! By the way - the pointers you gave me had an immediate impact on improving my riding!

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

The last two in class sessions really helped me greatly (although I don't believe any of my pics were after those sessions). In fact, I know my form got better resulting in smoother riding and better lap times. Since I had never seen a pic of myself on the bike that captured my form during cornering (and certainly not with someone right behind me with such good form), I was not aware that my form was that far off - it sure didn't seem like it on the bike. I think I've improved that greatly - which also improved my bikes handling capabilities even more! :rolleyes:

Still, I can't wait to get back to the track with these guys as I know they will be able to give me all sorts of feedback to improve my skills even more!

Welcome, glad you had a great time at Barber! As far as the name on the coach bike - Brian was probably just riding Lyle's bike that day. Lyle was doing video review, he was not on track. Part time coaches ride whatever bike is available. :)

Hope to see you back for more schools!

Welcome, glad you had a great time at Barber! As far as the name on the coach bike - Brian was probably just riding Lyle's bike that day. Lyle was doing video review, he was not on track. Part time coaches ride whatever bike is available. :)

Hope to see you back for more schools!

Thanks for clarifying Hotfoot! I will definitely be back for more schools - you guys were awesome!

Welcome to the forum prnc81. It's simply amazing what the school provides in the way of education, service, and just plain fun. It makes you want to grab your riding buddies by the scruff of the neck (esp. that one guy we all know who seems to know everything) and drag them to CSS kicking and screaming. Hopefully some of your buddies will come with you next time around.

And I'm with you on Road Atlanta, I would love to do a class or two there!

See you on the boards,

Carey

Welcome to the forum prnc81. It's simply amazing what the school provides in the way of education, service, and just plain fun. It makes you want to grab your riding buddies by the scruff of the neck (esp. that one guy we all know who seems to know everything) and drag them to CSS kicking and screaming. Hopefully some of your buddies will come with you next time around.

And I'm with you on Road Atlanta, I would love to do a class or two there!

See you on the boards,

Carey

What's up Carey - I take it you're not too far from Atlanta... I noticed that you're an Auburn fan, but I won't hold it against you (as long as you won't hold it against me that I'm a Dawg fan). :P I'm totally with you on the buddies - I had one that cried about me taking the level 1 class without him (I've been trying to get him to sign-up for a class for years) then when I mentioned heading up to VIR he cried about it being too far away! He's a Tech (Yellow Jacket) guy so I always expect a lot of crying from him but it's a little ridiculous sometimes...

Hope to see you around sometime - by the way, I imagine you could blow some serious curves with the whole competitive dating thing... where exactly are those competitions held? Nevermind - I don't want to know!

Prince

What's up Carey - I take it you're not too far from Atlanta... I noticed that you're an Auburn fan, but I won't hold it against you (as long as you won't hold it against me that I'm a Dawg fan). :P I'm totally with you on the buddies - I had one that cried about me taking the level 1 class without him (I've been trying to get him to sign-up for a class for years) then when I mentioned heading up to VIR he cried about it being too far away! He's a Tech (Yellow Jacket) guy so I always expect a lot of crying from him but it's a little ridiculous sometimes...

Hope to see you around sometime - by the way, I imagine you could blow some serious curves with the whole competitive dating thing... where exactly are those competitions held? Nevermind - I don't want to know!

Prince

Hey Prince,

Yep, Auburn class of '93, but Fossil Fuel has forgiven me (he follows those crimsom pachyderms from Tuscaloosa) so hopefully you can too (I don't remember a few quality evenings in the 40Watt Club from back in the college days). And I lived in Marietta for 3 years before moving to Richmond so Atlanta will always hold a special place in my heart (excepting the 285 traffic of course). Plus, if you watch the AMA races at Road Atlanta, how could you not want to ride that track? ;) I've been trying to work my schedule so I can ride there next month with a friend but this whole work thing is getting in the way of my riding.

BTW...I can highly recommend VIR. CSS runs on the north course, which is very technical and makes for a great training ground and a ton of fun. I'm planning on doing a day (or two if work doesn't spoil it) when CSS is back in August. If you happen to decide to attend let me know and we can grab a beer and make fun of GT (I was accepted there and visited the campus...and now you know why I chose AU). It'll be even more fun if you drag the Yellow Jacket along.

Best,

Carey