Shoulder Position

Stewal

My question is: When leaned in a corner, looking through the corner, my helmet seems to get in the way of spotting my exit on longer corners. So, is it alright to turn my shoulders a little to the inside in order to look farther into the corner as long as it doesn't result in any input on the bars?(I'm 6'3" so i have some reach to spare) Or do i have to keep them square to the bars/bike?

This scenario arose because I took level 1 at NJMP a few weeks ago and since then have been thinking back through each corner i was having any trouble with and making sure i fixed the issues completely. One corner i struggled with throughout the day was the carousel. I just didn't feel like i was able to go as fast as i could have. My coach and locked it down to not looking and following through with the corner since the entry point for the next turn is quite far to the left and you cant run out your exit to the carousel. In the last 2 sessions i did much better with keeping my vision on the left edge of the track and staying in the corner a little longer and was comfortable going a little faster. I was still having a little trouble seeing though, due to my upper helmet padding being in the way when i turned my head all the way. The back was pushing on my leathers and likewise, the front was being pushed down into my field of vision.

When i got back out on my local 2 mile canyon track, i found myself having the same issue on a turn there. Its a long right hand corner (about 120deg) with a slightly downhill, no camber entry and is off camber and uphill mid corner. Now that i'm in the habit of looking farther through the corner i can't see, so i started turning my shoulders a little so that i didn't have to turn my head as much. That eliminated the helmet pushing on the back of my neck and the padding coming down into my vision.

My question is: When leaned in a corner, looking through the corner, my helmet seems to get in the way of spotting my exit on longer corners. So, is it alright to turn my shoulders a little to the inside in order to look farther into the corner as long as it doesn't result in any input on the bars?(I'm 6'3" so i have some reach to spare) Or do i have to keep them square to the bars/bike?

I'm a little confused by your description the the "fix" vs the problem, but allow me to make a separate suggestion:

Put a bit of foam in the top of your helmet so it doesn't limit your vision.

See this thread started by Cobie back in October 2010: Helmet and vision.

Kai

I'm a little confused by your description the the "fix" vs the problem, but allow me to make a separate suggestion:

Kai

I agree with Kai; from what you are describing, it sounds like a helmet fit issue, rather than a body position issue. Unless you are riding "crossed up" (torso & shoulders pointed in the opposite direction of the turn); that would definitely amplify the problem.

FWIW, I had the same problem several years ago with a Shoei I used to have - limited sight, contact with the back protector, etc.

Kai

Thanks Kai, thats exactly the issue i'm having. Turning the shoulders was my fix and i wasn't sure if it would be a proper body position. I also have a shoei so clearly its a recurring issue. I may have bought something else if i had realized it was a problem...I guess maybe i'll go with Arai next time.

I know most of the responses have been centered around correcting your issue with a helmet fix but I though I would mention one other thing regarding actual body position. In LvL 2 and 3 when working on locking into the tank and getting your body position sorted out one of the things taught at the school is to angle your hips into the turn to help lock your outside leg into the tank, or as a few coaches put it point your "junk" into the corner. Obviously if you pivot your hips your upper body is going to follow somewhat, especially if you have your inside leg cranked way out as lean angle gauge.