Low Sided At The Race Sunday

I was told enough time about the two types of racers: the ones that have crashed and the ones that will. I'm just a brand new member of the first group.

On my first race of the day I got a good start and ended up first exiting turn one. I was pretty excited, but knew that it was going to be of short duration. At every subsequent corners, I was expecting someone to pass me, but it didn't happen for a whole lap. That's when the excitement of the race got me to ride sloppy. I was no longer paying attention to my lines and body position, but I was just fixated on the engine noise behind me. Then I got a brilliant idea (at least I thought at the time) to try a late braking at the end of the straightaway so I could possibly gain or keep my lead. Well, that plan didn't materialize the way I imagined. When I (finally) started braking, it became pretty clear to me that I was a little TOO late. I tried to save it by going wide and pushing the lean angle, but the outer edge of the track in that corner had a little bit of sand from a previous wind storm, so the front wheel didn't hold and I went flying.

Man that pavement is hard!

The bike survived pretty well, with just mostly cosmetic damage, and I ended up with a very sore right ankle, bruised hip, and aches and pains everywhere but my head and torso, which is good. My helmet didn't get a single scratch, but my leathers took a beating. Thank goodness for those things!

Anyway, lessons learned: Don't get fixated on the other racers, but pay attention to the riding, and DON'T try expert move when you're not one of them!

Bonehead move :rolleyes:

Guy

Good to hear you had no major damage, especially to you Guy. And I would be willing to bet your story is an all too common one. The lead can be the hardest place to be in a race, when you are following at least you know what you have to do (or not do) to try to pass.

Good luck in the next race. (And welcome to the...er...club.) B)

Sorry for the crash, and glad you are ok. I am a curious what other protective gear you were wearing. In addition to my leathers and back protector I chew on a mouthpiece and wear Knox underwear which has a lot of hip and tailpone protection. I am also looking at adding chest protection to my armor.

Id wear a cup but cant get one under my leathers!...lol.

Its easy to get caught up in the moment and I have to remind myself Im not getting paid to do this!! Hope you feel better soon.

Good to hear you had no major damage, especially to you Guy. And I would be willing to bet your story is an all too common one. The lead can be the hardest place to be in a race, when you are following at least you know what you have to do (or not do) to try to pass.

Good luck in the next race. (And welcome to the...er...club.) B)

Yes, the lead is a different place to be, and I had never been there before.

Thanks for the Welcome to the Club... I guess :)

Sorry for the crash, and glad you are ok. I am a curious what other protective gear you were wearing. In addition to my leathers and back protector I chew on a mouthpiece and wear Knox underwear which has a lot of hip and tailpone protection. I am also looking at adding chest protection to my armor.

Id wear a cup but cant get one under my leathers!...lol.

Its easy to get caught up in the moment and I have to remind myself Im not getting paid to do this!! Hope you feel better soon.

All I have is the leathers, back brace, helmet, glove, boots.

Looking at the ugly looking bruise on my right thigh, I wish I had some padding down there, but no room available.

As for the mouth-piece, what I would love to have is some kind of water delivery system, so I can drink during the race. My mouth gets so bloody dry after just a few lapse, it's unbelievable. I don't know how those guys that run 28 lapse race do.

I'm still slow walking because of the ankle, and I still cringe when I sit and the wallet in my back pocket is just at the wrong spot, but it's all getting better. I'm pretty sure I'll be ready for the races on 14/15 July.