Unusual Cornering Techniques

Hmmm....me thinx lengthening the swing arm and drive shaft on the BMW will not be worth the effort :P

www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOFimB7ZA

Well it's not really that unusual... just a holding the counter-steer angle to maintain the lean angle since both wheels aren't following the same path.

Here is a good writeup where Nick tries to explain the best way to start your adventures in tire smoke and highsides: http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2011/01/motorcycle-drifting-car-drifting/

Obviously the stretched swingarm allows much more control since it won't react as fast as a stock wheelbase bike (although comparing it to OEM wheelbase could be a bit misleading, it's really the swingarm length that makes the difference). A prerequisite is being comfortable doing rolling burnouts. Start out doing a high RPM burnout going as slowly as possible, then release the brake and go full throttle, trying to keep it straight. When you can handle that the next step is to start making some small steering inputs and gradually increase the rear wheel angle. But riding beyond your limits there is a quick way to hospital.

Simple, eh? laugh.gif

I would love to get an old thrasher and put a swingarm extension on and try this stuff out. But then there's always the problem of where to do it... maybe one day.

I believe that "swinging" as it's known is a popular night time activity among sportbike riders in Aruba (if you want to get up close & personal to some real life drifting).

Hmmm....me thinx lengthening the swing arm and drive shaft on the BMW will not be worth the effort :P

Fun video Dane. I love the remote control camera car. That wipeout was epic!

And methinx you are correct sir. Something tells me our Bavarian friends who put it together for you would not approve. :D

Simple, eh? laugh.gif

I would love to get an old thrasher and put a swingarm extension on and try this stuff out. But then there's always the problem of where to do it... maybe one day.

You will have to post up videos Mug!

Fun video Dane. I love the remote control camera car. That wipeout was epic!

And methinx you are correct sir. Something tells me our Bavarian friends who put it together for you would not approve. :D

Simple, eh? laugh.gif

You will have to post up videos Mug!

Hmmm, maybe I should get round to bolting up that turbo that's been sitting on the shelf......