Newbie, Mark, from Ringgold Ga. Been riding a little over a year. have 650R Ninja.

Was wondering when the School would hold another session at Road Atlanta?

Newbie, Mark, from Ringgold Ga. Been riding a little over a year. have 650R Ninja.

Welcome to the forum Mark! I'm not sure when/if the school is planning to hit Road Atlanta again. Maybe one of the coaches knows if it's in the cards for next year and will chime it. Have you considered Barber? It's not much further from you.

So what are you looking for in your riding? Are you looking to get into track riding? Or improve you street ability?

Best,

Carey

Welcome to the forum Mark! I'm not sure when/if the school is planning to hit Road Atlanta again. Maybe one of the coaches knows if it's in the cards for next year and will chime it. Have you considered Barber? It's not much further from you.

So what are you looking for in your riding? Are you looking to get into track riding? Or improve you street ability?

Best,

Carey

I am going to Barber in October. bought a 1 track day. I know Code's School is having a class at Barber in August. Unfortunatley I will be out of town for that Session. Do you know if the Track folks give help with Cornering and Knee dragging in the Novice Session? i am wanting to work on that mroe than anything. I had to talked with "Muggett" about my tires. I am currently running Battlax 020"s on my Bike The Shop that put them on told me not to try to add much more lean angle on that type of tire. Suggested me going to 016's. i am leaving about 1/2" "Chicken Strip" on both sides. Muggett agreed. Also. Any thoughts?

Mark,

I know that NESBA control riders will provide some guidance on your riding, especially if you seek them out before the session begins and ask. However their primary job is being a control rider and not a coach so YMMV depending on the day/CR you work with.

As for knee dragging, I would go about it slowly. The CSS coaches all say one of the biggest mistakes is to try to do too much too soon. They see new track riders trying too hard to get that knee down, and it's at the expense of proper form (i.e. hanging off too far, being crossed up, adding lean angle while in the corner). All of these things can end badly. Sure, you might get away with them at a moderate pace, modern sportbikes are brilliant tools and can compensate for much more rider error than in ages past, but eventually you will pick up the pace. Then those bad habits will cost you.

Increasing your lean will come with increasing your pace. And increasing your pace should be incremental. I would pick up TOTW II and start working on the fundementals (throttle control and vision skills are a good start) and if you get to the track before you can do a school then you have some things to work on.

While I can understand the desire to rub off the chicken strips and drag a knee, ask yourself "what is the goal?". Why do you want to put a knee down? Or be rid of those chicken strips? My guess is that both would be tangible results to your improvement. If thats the case then they should be by-products and not goals in and of themselves.

I don't mean to preach but I was in your shoes. A few sessions with my first CSS coach made a believer out of me.

Ride safe,

Carey

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum fireflyer, great to see you've jumped into some discussions.

As far as having the "goal" of knee-down and removing chicken strips, I was kind of like you in that regard. When I just started out riding I figured that if I wasn't getting my knee down, and wasn't using all of the tyre that I was in a way "wasting" the capabilities of the bike! And that really disappointed me!

But my goals have changed since then, and like warregl mentions - knee-down is really a result of proper riding technique, not an end in itself. If you look at it with that approach, and make it a goal to learn the proper riding techniques that will naturally produce knee-down and using all the tyre, you'll go much further and be much better equipped for a lifetime of riding enjoyment. biggrin.gif