My Brother's First Track Day

He was pretty stoked. Only passed once over the whole day, but passed lots of bikes himself, many new race reps, on his old Aprilia that he also rode for the very first time.

He enters the track at around the 5 min mark and again at the 13 min mark after a pit visit for those bothering to watch.

Pretty impressive, especially for his first track day. He really looks like he's blowing by some people.

Did you get out there with him?

Second day, at Brno, he did a 2:32 on his 8th lap around the track. So he now has 12 laps at his racing speed around Lausitzring and 9 laps around Brno in total on a for him new bike. He hasn't changed anything on the bike, not even checked the tyre pressure. He did replace the rear tyre after the session today and probably will replace the front before taking to the track at Ochsersleben tomorrow - he just discovered it's from 2006 and nobody know how many sessions it's done under the hands of the previous owner.

Also, he told me to ask how you can brake from 150 to 60 mph with the rear wheel hovering an inch over the ground with relaxed arms as his legs cannot do the job alone.

Here's a shot from his day at Brno.

Eirik,

I use my back and stomach muscles to support the torso weight as much as possible.

Completely staying off the handlebars is hard. If he can "flap his elbows" (aka 'doing the chicken wings') he should be OK.

Kai

Thanks, Kai!

I'm still pretty impressed by the progress he's made after such a short time on track and with no knowledge of the bike up front. Biaggi's SBK race lap record is 1:59.96, and for a 44 year old bloke, who's most modern bike so far has been a Daytona 900 from 1993, I think it's amazing that he's know tough enough to grind away kneepucks - from wedging it between ground and fairing - in just 9 laps around Brno.

Your brother seems to be a natural.

I know its been mentioned in threads here before but I'll also throw in the tank grips as a suggestion. I know they are very useful for me, especially under heavy breaking. I've used Tech Spec and Stomp Grip. In my experience, the Stomp Grip is more agressive, so more grip, but potentially less comfortable on a street bike (they don't bother me but I don't ride in shorts). The stomp Grips are the first thing on order for my bike.

Good tip, I'll move it on to him!

On the road, we're equally fast/slow; regardless of who's leading the man behind cannot pass if the bikes have similar performance - despite greatly different styles. However, I would have to work very long and very hard in order to get down to the sort of lean angles he carried at Brno. And even then I doubt I would manage to overcome my concern about leaning the bike that far over. But I've always known that my strengths are in reading the road well, not riding the bike like a star. I'd be reaching my personal limit pretty quickly on a track, I'm afraid, and struggle to progress. And that limit would be far lower than that of my bro.

So now there are two things he does better; riding fast on track plus he's an amazing mechanic. But I'm adament that's all :lol: