Knee Dragging

IMHO, knee dragging is not a technique that you should practice. It comes as a result of performing many other techniques properly; THOSE are the ones to practice B) .

My brother, who have just once in is life barely kissed down a knee back in 1988 on his RG250, only needed a couple of laps before regularly scraping the knees when he took to the track for the first time earlier this week. He didn't try for it or expect it, it just happened. And it came from lean, not sticking the knee out a lot. So BLSJDS (how do you prononce that?) is correct that it is better to focus on your riding than touching down and that once you get the speed up, so will the knee pucks come down.

My brother, who have just once in is life barely kissed down a knee back in 1988 on his RG250, only needed a couple of laps before regularly scraping the knees when he took to the track for the first time earlier this week. He didn't try for it or expect it, it just happened. And it came from lean, not sticking the knee out a lot. So BLSJDS (how do you prononce that?) is correct that it is better to focus on your riding than touching down and that once you get the speed up, so will the knee pucks come down.

:D Those are the initials of my kids - ha ha. My name is Dan B) .

Appreciate the inputs:) I did practice this morning for about 2 hours. Only touched one and thats when the rear tire slid about 3'. didn't know if I was at my tires limit? They are the Battlax 020 Sport Touring of Bridgestone. I did slide every time at that lean angle. Have about 3/16" Chicken strip left. Was still practicing in the Parking Lot at 20-25 mph> Any thoughts?

Thank's Mark.

Did receive my TOTW II Book and read through it yesterday. Have watched the Video so many times My Wife about Threatens me with Divorce if I watch it againbiggrin.gif!

IMHO, knee dragging is not a technique that you should practice. It comes as a result of performing many other techniques properly; THOSE are the ones to practice B) .

Don't understand IMHO? Please a little more info. Thanks, Markblink.gif

Usually IMHO is an abbreviation for "in my humble opinion."

You might also see YRMV - "your results may vary."

In regards to your earlier question about sliding the tire - yes, you could be at the limit of your tires, but there could be some other factors to check like tire pressure, are you getting the tires sufficiently warmed up, are you loose on the bars, etc.

In regards to your earlier question about sliding the tire - yes, you could be at the limit of your tires, but there could be some other factors to check like tire pressure, are you getting the tires sufficiently warmed up, are you loose on the bars, etc.

Thanks for the Info. Sorry didn't understand the abbreviation. Older Generation here. Tires were warmed up. Maybe a little tight on the bar. Was trying to be loose and Comfortable.

Thanks againrolleyes.gif

The 020 should have grip to the edge, provided a grippy road. If not, watch out! Not only do these tyres offer limited grip, they tend to let go without warning. "I went high, I could see the whole track from my position": What a bloke said after being unexpectedly highsided by his bike while trying to do a track session on 020s.

The 020 should have grip to the edge, provided a grippy road. If not, watch out! Not only do these tyres offer limited grip, they tend to let go without warning. "I went high, I could see the whole track from my position": What a bloke said after being unexpectedly highsided by his bike while trying to do a track session on 020s.

Thats what I thought. They did feel a little greasy slippery just about a 1/4 of second before the rear let loose. I thought it was just that part of the tire was still slick like new tires do since I had not used that part yet. Thankssmile.gif

You have 'about' 3/16" of an inch left? That sounds far too accurate! I think you've been out there with a tape measure :)

Believe it or not, I really measured it. Kind of Corny I know>laugh.gif The right side I had about 17/32' of inch left. Just over half an inch. I do better leaning towards the left than the right.wink.gif

So... That's two kids, not SIX kids, right? :)

Ha ha ha - YES - only two kids :P .

"In My Humble Opinion", as Hotfoot stated below B) .

Definatley Overdid it Sunday trying to knee drag for two hours. Leg muscle pump. Having to do alot of stretching amd still hurts to walk :o

It all depends a lot on geometry - seat height, peg height, how tall the rider is, how much they stick their leg out, etc. Also, some riders will go to ridiculous extents hanging off the bike, just trying to get a knee down. I can show you photos of guys with their knee down carrying no more than 25 degrees of lean angle, but it looks really stupid - they are climbing down the side of the bike like Spiderman.

Alternatively, some riders have the bike at a steep lean angle and get their knee down, but their body position is poor in the other way - it is too upright, with no hanging off at all (head on the high side of the centre line of the bike), so they are leaning the bike much more than would be necesssary with better body position. This is also really poor riding.

Generally, with proper body position and otherwise normal geometry and normal tire profiles, you are going to be getting your knee down about the same time you have zero chicken strips. In my opinion, in that situation you are cornering much too hard for safe street riding. It needs to be on a track.

To summarize the above, if you are regularly scraping your pucks while riding on public roads, you either have poor body position or you are riding way too fast for safety (yours and others').

Here's a photo of a rider who seems to be a bit obsessed with getting his knee down. Everyone has their style and preference, but personally this body position is not what I would be trying to achieve.

post-23517-0-39379400-1343144348_thumb.jpg

Here's a photo of a rider who seems to be a bit obsessed with getting his knee down. Everyone has their style and preference, but personally this body position is not what I would be trying to achieve.

post-23517-0-39379400-1343144348_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the Information. Interesting Photo.

I wasn't that far off I don't believe. My knee never touched until the rear slid.;)