Greetings From Silicon Valley

Hello everyone!

I started reading Twist of the Wrist in 1985, the same year I started riding street bikes. I had managed to scare myself pretty badly transitioning from dirt riding on my little Suzuki RM50, to riding a Honda CB360T. Lucky for me the moto shop in Gilroy had ToTW, so a young squid grew safely into a careful older squid. wink.gif Over 250K miles that technology and understanding has saved my life and limbs countless times. I was really happy to finally meet Keith and thank him in person this last Sunday, at the Doc Wong event.

I've read ToTW I & II, have both videos, and have given copies to riders in need as well. I laughed pretty hard at the chicken strip intro to our protagonists in II, I know I wasn't nearly that cool when I handed out my copies.

I am scheduled to attend CSS Level 1 at Streets later this month. Two things finally got me to sign up for class, one was my Father.. He learned to ride on his own in the 60's, and taught me everything I knew about riding... I figured out that most of what I "knew" was wrong without having to crash. He also stopped riding when I started, but just started up again two years ago...MSF and some parking lot training was fine until he traded his big cruiser for a '07 ZX-10R. [/wave Hi Pops! ].

The second thing was that I was out of riding for a few years with a broken back. I have noticed over the last few years of daily riding that even "knowing" what to do has not been enough. I need some expert instruction. So now we are both getting ready for class, reading this forum, the books, and watching the videos.

A big /wave and thank you to Pete who was my instructor on Sunday, you rocked! I posted up some photos on my local forum. The video I recorded of the training is really helpful for review too.

Looking forward to exploring this site more, any links on StoWS corner breakdown will be appreciated. I'd really like to be able to print each corner, laminate them, and then redraw lines, speeds, camber, rise notes etc...

Ty

Hi and welcome to the forums Ty,

It sounds like your no stranger to Keiths teachings or the operation of two wheeled vehicles so you should fit in just fine around here. I browsed some of the pictures you linked and am a little curious exactly what and where this Doc Wong event was. Judging by the pictures, it appeared to be some sort of off track skills day with a few of the custom trainer bikes the school has in a parking lot of some sort. Am I very far off base there??

Tyler

Welcome to the forum Ty!

I wasn't familiar with Doc Wong either so I Googled it (how did we live without Google?). I sure like the idea of free rider improvement clinics. And getting to use the CSS off-track bikes had to be a real treat.

Good luck at your level 1 class later this month. While you have a better idea what to expect than most people, I'll bet you will still be a bit surprised at how much you enjoy your day. Post up afterward and let us know how it goes.

And jump right into the other threads. We love hearing from new members!

Ride safe,

Carey

Thank you guys for the welcome!

exactly what and where this Doc Wong event was. Judging by the pictures, it appeared to be some sort of off track skills day with a few of the custom trainer bikes the school has in a parking lot of some sort. Am I very far off base there?? Tyler

Here is a link to the thread about that days training at a local Junior College parking lot.

Doc Wong is a really great guy. He is a chiropractor who offer two to four riding skills classes every month... for free. Each month he puts on a rider ergonomics class to teach people how to fit comfortably on their motorcycles, two suspension classes that are pretty top notch, one on how to set up the other on the mechanical details of shocks and forks. He also teaches the riding technology found in ToTW I & II. As I understand it, he is the only person blessed by Keith to train outside of CSS. Honestly he does a ton for the local riding community and we are very lucky to have him.

Post up afterward and let us know how it goes.\ And jump right into the other threads. We love hearing from new members! Ride safe,Carey

I sure will! Right now I just finished rereading all of the Article posts, now I'm cyber stalking Hotfoot to get the good info. biggrin.gif

Take care,

Ty

• 2 weeks later...