Race Day Records

aslcbr600

Do you guys use the race day records that are in the back of the twist 2 book or do you have your own style of notes keeping? I am thinking about getting a binder and printing off some sheets to keep track of my progress and how different setups give different results.

What about note keeping during/after a CSS level? I haven't attended a class yet, I was supposed to attend the one this month on the 27th at willow but I can't take the time off work so I had to reschedule. I think notes comparisons really help keep track of everything but organizing it in a way that it all makes sense helps too!

If you want to get the most from your efforts, keeping a record of all you do is vital. Without, all is down to memory. And that's highly inaccurate.

Many, many years ago when I had plans for myself and my powerlifting, I would write down each workout. And then go back and analyze, modify or discard depending on my (lack of) gains. I also tried to convince myself it was fun pushing myself to the limit by writing PAIN IS FUN on the cover of my record books rolleyes.gifBut I'd never make the gains I did without my records.

Do you guys use the race day records that are in the back of the twist 2 book or do you have your own style of notes keeping? I am thinking about getting a binder and printing off some sheets to keep track of my progress and how different setups give different results.

What about note keeping during/after a CSS level? I haven't attended a class yet, I was supposed to attend the one this month on the 27th at willow but I can't take the time off work so I had to reschedule. I think notes comparisons really help keep track of everything but organizing it in a way that it all makes sense helps too!

I keep two separate binders, one for maintenance/repair/suspension settings info, and another for track notes with reference points and tips recorded for different tracks and days I've ridden.

In my maintenance records I keep track of the engine hours (I finally got an runtime meter on my engine) since my last oil change, number of days on my tires, and other maintenance info like when I changed chain and sprocket, checked valves, etc. I also have a list of parts numbers or sizes for certain items and the vendor info so I know where I can get parts.

Recently I've started moving the maintenance records info and part number/vendor list to my iPhone so I have it handy, instead of having to go get the binder out of my race trailer to check my notes. That is going GREAT so far, very useful to have the info at my fingertips.

In my track/race day records book I like to write down the reference points I found, and record my shift points and what gears I was using where, and any other useful track-specific things I learned (like, there is a big bump right before the apex of Turn 4 that is hard to see!) etc. I also write down gains for that day, and I keep a running record of my best-ever laptimes at each track I ride.

Those notes can be useful but I really don't find that I review them very often, I should probably make more effort to do that. Sometimes the track has changed (repaved, etc.) or my riding has changed so much since I wrote the notes that they don't seem very 'real' to me anymore.

I did take notes when I did CSS classes but I find that just having a copy of Twist of the Wrist II handy is a MUCH better way to review the concepts; often I look something up in Twist II, re-read it, then find that I gain a more complete understanding after re-reading it in the book than I ever would have from reading my class notes. :)

I keep two separate binders, one for maintenance/repair/suspension settings info, and another for track notes with reference points and tips recorded for different tracks and days I've ridden.

I have pretty much the same setup!

1 book has tech info. All the clearances from my engine (I since I built it!), carb jetting, suspension settings etc. The other has my race timesheets, track maps and riding notes/reference points. I also keep info on tyre pressures, race day weather and temps in here.

I'd be lost without either, but both for different reasons :)

Cheers

Luke

So how do you organize all of the information? Did you draft some excel template or something?

It's not particularly well organized. It's by date, on my riding notes, and by track for maps and laptimes.

The maintenance records are just listed by category (tires, engine, transmission, fuel) then a list of dates of when any major maintenance was done or changes made. Now I've starting keeping that info in a note on my iPhone, so I have part numbers for tires, etc. right at hand any time I needed it.

I also keep a note on my phone with my best-ever laptime at each track, because it feels so good when I get to update it!

Funny you asked about a program to organize this info, I posted a question on the WERA race forum asking if anyone knew an iPhone app for tracking race bike maintenance records and they jumped ALL over me asking what's wrong with good old pencil and paper!

I think you should create an app for us.... :)

So how do you organize all of the information? Did you draft some excel template or something?

It's not particularly well organized. It's by date, on my riding notes, and by track for maps and laptimes.

The maintenance records are just listed by category (tires, engine, transmission, fuel) then a list of dates of when any major maintenance was done or changes made. Now I've starting keeping that info in a note on my iPhone, so I have part numbers for tires, etc. right at hand any time I needed it.

I also keep a note on my phone with my best-ever laptime at each track, because it feels so good when I get to update it!

Funny you asked about a program to organize this info, I posted a question on the WERA race forum asking if anyone knew an iPhone app for tracking race bike maintenance records and they jumped ALL over me asking what's wrong with good old pencil and paper!

I think you should create an app for us.... :)

Yea I am not one for creating software lol I can learn how to use them but that is the gist of it!