Definition: Checking Up?

Hi all,

I've got a question that's always been on the back of my mind but never cared enough to search for an answer until now. When someone is checking up at the track, what does that mean? I have a vague idea that it means to slow down, but beyond that I'm clueless.

Does it mean to just slow down, or is there an underlying unexpectedness/suddenness to it? Like if someone blocks your line, you check up? Does it mean to brake, snap off the throttle, roll off the throttle, etc etc.? Or does it mean to slow down when you're not expecting to, like someone crashes in front of you?

Thanks!

Shadow;

I'm not sure there is a specific definition (now that I typed that someone will post it for sure) but I believe it to be anything that causes a rider to come off pace prematurely and at times abruptly. Whether it is for a slower rider(s) in a tight section of the track, oil or debris on the surface, an animal (yes, they do sometimes appear at tracks) or a bike malfunction. Technically a red flag causes everyone to check up but not abruptly of course.

Rainman

Hi all,

I've got a question that's always been on the back of my mind but never cared enough to search for an answer until now. When someone is checking up at the track, what does that mean? I have a vague idea that it means to slow down, but beyond that I'm clueless.

Does it mean to just slow down, or is there an underlying unexpectedness/suddenness to it? Like if someone blocks your line, you check up? Does it mean to brake, snap off the throttle, roll off the throttle, etc etc.? Or does it mean to slow down when you're not expecting to, like someone crashes in front of you?

Thanks!

That term is used in horse racing, particularly when one horse gets cut off by another and the rider behind has to slow abruptly; he "checks" his horse (slows him down) or sometimes you hear "checks up".

l have always understood it to mean slowing abruptly in reaction to something unexpected or sudden; if you look up "check" in the dictionary one of the definitions is: "a sudden pause or break in a progression".

I think the original use was simply to "check" as in "check your speed" and "check up" is a more recent or Americanized usage, maybe a hybrid of "checking" and "pulling up" - just like some people say "slow up" which has always sounded a little weird to me.