Critique Me

From the camera position, I guess you are mostly looking for critique of your body position.

I noticed a couple of things:

First, when you transition from one side to the other (like in the S-combinations), you lift your butt off the seat (e.g. @3.35) - try to slide it over the seat instead (I'm guilty of this sin).

Secondly, it looks like that you are either hanging too much off, or you are not getting your upper body enough to the inner side, so your body becomes twisted (yeah, I'm guilty of that too). This could be due to the relatively low speed that you're running with on this course.

At level 3 there is a drill called the Hip Flick. Do you think it could be useful for you in the S-combos?

A third thing I noticed on a couple of occasions is that you only accellerate when you're almost straight up, but this could easily be deliberate due to the amount of traffic and passing rules on the day.

It also seems to me that you don't use the full width of the course. From the video, the course seems rather bumpy, so this may be the 'correct' thing to do here.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you need further explanations.

Kai

Yeah I have been trying to correct that myself but in the heat of the moment I forget about it lol. The body position part I am still working on, I was told to pivot my hips a little more towards the corner so I can drop my upper body down more so that makes sense.

I forgot what the hip flick is.... :(

You are correct the traffic limits me on how aggressive I can be with the throttle, on that course we can only pass on the front and back straights. The course isn't that wide to begin with and yes it's not the best paved course but I go there because it's nice to work on specific skills. That was only my 2nd day there and now that I will be with levels 3-4 (basically intermediate) I can keep a little faster pace and adjust things instead of catching traffic all of the time.

abit OT:

This brings me to a thesis that the amount of bodyweight locked on tightly enough to the bike = how well the suspension works as it is not coping with a suddenly lightweight bike by virtue of hanging off and being disconnected to the bike

ie:

hang off loose , bike wobbling around as the whole suspension package is tuned to 190KG+70KG of weight but in reality in bends/corners it is coping with a variable amount due to the body being a partially unsprung mass

hang off tight , bike acts more as a whole as most of the weight including the rider is nealy not unsprung (you still cannot cancel out internal organs wobbling about)

Yeah I have been trying to correct that myself but in the heat of the moment I forget about it lol. The body position part I am still working on, I was told to pivot my hips a little more towards the corner so I can drop my upper body down more so that makes sense.

I forgot what the hip flick is.... :(

IANAC (I Am Not A Coach), but turning your hips into the corner (so the inside hip is more forward than the outside), is not the way CSS teaches it - you should keep your hips perpendicular to the bike.

The Hip Flick is used when you want to move quickly from side to side of the bike, and you have a bit of time to set it up. S-combinations are obvious. You start by hanging out to one side (say, Right), and once your have leaned the bike in, you move your pelvis and lowe body over to the other side (here: left), while keeping the upper body/torso on the right side. When you come to the RP where you want to change to left-side hangout, you only have to transition your torso to the left before making the steering input. This requires some practice and, in my experience, flexibility.

I hope I haven't scr*w*d up the drill and explanation too much.

Oh ok now I remember, that's confusing to me because one of the guys on another forum told me he has been to CSS all the way to level 4 and then repeated 4 again and apparently that's how it's "supposed to be done". Personally I don't feel their is only one single way to ride, just some styles fit certain bikes or certain tracks better then others.

That is what makes the greats unique, however my point is I am not a record setting rider so I am willing to try other things to experiment and see if it makes me any faster or not.

I don't hang off loose, I stay firm everywhere but my arms.....I only input as much needed to steer the bike.

You are correct the traffic limits me on how aggressive I can be with the throttle, on that course we can only pass on the front and back straights. The course isn't that wide to begin with and yes it's not the best paved course but I go there because it's nice to work on specific skills. That was only my 2nd day there and now that I will be with levels 3-4 (basically intermediate) I can keep a little faster pace and adjust things instead of catching traffic all of the time.

Visual skills will help with that. There is always more than one line through any given corner that will allow for rule #1 and a lot of the time, it can be very aggressive. Traffic is an issue yes.... but if you start now by planning ahead and looking through traffic, you can set up a pass a section (2 or 3 corners of a track) ahead of time and roll right pass using an alternative line. Coming back to work on this skill after you get faster sucks..... I know because I am currently doing just that.

Visual skills will help with that. There is always more than one line through any given corner that will allow for rule #1 and a lot of the time, it can be very aggressive. Traffic is an issue yes.... but if you start now by planning ahead and looking through traffic, you can set up a pass a section (2 or 3 corners of a track) ahead of time and roll right pass using an alternative line. Coming back to work on this skill after you get faster sucks..... I know because I am currently doing just that.

Interesting, I never thought of planning out 2-3 corners ahead of time.....I have a certain section of that course where I can line people up and pass with more aggression on the throttle but I see where you are going with this. Thanks for the tip! I will keep this in mind during my next TD this Friday.