Test Run With My New Gear, Break In Suit

Finally broke out my new alpinestars Motegi suit, Knox Aegis back protector and decided to do a test run in the heat. Since I am attending the CSS in September. It was 91f in my neck of the woods today. I put on my Bilt "Heat Out" long johns, long sleeve shirt,suit,boots, gauntlet gloves and helmet.

Suit fit better than it did 3 months ago, as I have been lifting weights and cycling. I walked around with it and did some squats to see how it feels moving around with it. Jumped on my bike and took a 10 mile ride on highway 15. Didn't feel bad, but definitely needs breaking in. Felt better after being on the bike about 20 minutes, shifting, braking etc.. I rather do this now, than fiddle with my gear the first day of school at CSS.

When I exited the freeway and stopped at the light, the cooking began. It was very hot and I was sweating like crazy. One question I had was, should I take the liner out of the suit???

What kind of liner is in it? If it is just a mesh liner you should probably keep it in - it will help hold the pads in place, make it easier to get the suit off and on, and possibly protect you from leather or pad edges in the suit that could chafe.

Yes, very thin mesh type liner. i think it probably helps wick the sweat?

franco802,

I'd look toward the humidity as the likely bad actor in your sweating. 91 is pretty hot too. The desert that Willow Springs is in is about 10% Humidity on the wettest day so it'll feel cooler. Sounds like you're ready to rock.

For a real time temp check there's a thermometer stuck through the fence that is just east of the classroom building near the SW corner of the building... It's my inadvertent donation to the climate monitoring a SWS.

franco802,

I'd look toward the humidity as the likely bad actor in your sweating. 91 is pretty hot too. The desert that Willow Springs is in is about 10% Humidity on the wettest day so it'll feel cooler. Sounds like you're ready to rock.

For a real time temp check there's a thermometer stuck through the fence that is just east of the classroom building near the SW corner of the building... It's my inadvertent donation to the climate monitoring a SWS.

The heat feels like its starting late this year. I think Im psyching myself out thinking about the desert heat and getting heat exhaustion out there. I sure hope it ends up being under 100f September 14.

I wouldn't worry. You're in good hands with the CSS staff looking after you.

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/USCA0955?month=1

• 2 weeks later...

franco802,

The heat feels like its starting late this year. I think Im psyching myself out thinking about the desert heat and getting heat exhaustion out there. I sure hope it ends up being under 100f September 14.

You are psyching yourself out. 100F in the desert does not compare to the same temp in more humid areas of the world. You still need to be well hydrated prior to attending the class though. And drink plenty of water and hydration mix during the day at class. Read over the Hydration thread in Health and Fitness for Riding. I'll post the link from my desktop later today.

Have fun out there this week. I wish I was out there having fun too instead of piloting my desk. GL & Safe Riding.